Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Sweltsa (Chloroperlidae) (Sallfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This species was fairly abundant in a February sample of the upper Yakima.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 1, 2013April 1st, 2013, 6:47 pm EDT
OK, there's still time!

Stonefly thinks to self,
"Should I go lay eggs today?",
then feeds a brown trout.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Apr 1, 2013April 1st, 2013, 7:48 pm EDT
seemingly disparate points but with clever or cryptic meaning

Spring paints the valley with yellow blossoms
The lazy Brown looks to the sky
Tony & Eric whisper in Spencer's ear
"non-resident PA fishing license must buy..." :)

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Gutcutter
Gutcutter's profile picture
Pennsylvania

Gutcutter on Apr 2, 2013April 2nd, 2013, 4:39 am EDT
Ahhhh!!!!
Thank God it's over.
Kurt, James, Allan, Kyle, Louis, Rougerat, Jon, Casey and Spence:
Don't quit your day jobs!
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
Feathers5
Feathers5 on Apr 2, 2013April 2nd, 2013, 6:00 am EDT
Bruce reads this thread,
dies face down in the pond
of vomit that covers his head.
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Apr 2, 2013April 2nd, 2013, 7:53 am EDT
Ahhhh!!!!
Thank God it's over.
Kurt, James, Allan, Kyle, Louis, Rougerat, Jon, Casey and Spence:
Don't quit your day jobs!

Bruce reads this thread,
dies face down in the pond
of vomit that covers his head.

Yeah what they said!!!
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Apr 2, 2013April 2nd, 2013, 9:05 am EDT
:)LOL

Remember Seinfeld? What Festivus is to Christmas, Haiku Day is now to Easter.:) LOL

Ahh! My ribs hurt...:)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 2, 2013April 2nd, 2013, 11:44 am EDT
BTW Tony, I have TWO day jobs - Field Biology is a go this summer AND my consulting work is picking up! To be brutally honest, I never thought of poetry, Haiku or otherwise, as a way to make a living...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Apr 2, 2013April 2nd, 2013, 1:09 pm EDT
My grandmother grew up in the western end of Maryland. She had a small scar on her chin from when she had let the horses out of the barn for the first time in spring. They would buck & kick, and go crazy. We can be thankful, me thinks, that the door of spring has sprung and no one seems to have gotten hurt...:) except the poetic sensibilities of our own literary critic, T.S. Eliot Gutcutter who has been heard reciting Ezra Pound while he's repairing someone's innards.

If we don't get his waders wet soon he'll go crazy and we will be sending him off to St Elizabeth's where Mr Pound spent some of his last days. :)

As Bruce might say, "Be patient Antonio, we will be poking cattle soon." ;)

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 2, 2013April 2nd, 2013, 3:37 pm EDT
There once was a gang called the Troutnuts
who said poetry is Okay BUT
Haiku is forbidden
it is only written
on April first or Jason goes NEE-utts!!!

Jonathon
Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Apr 2, 2013April 2nd, 2013, 4:32 pm EDT
That's correct Jonathon and its April 2nd, so give it a rest. :)it was funny yesterday for a few moments and now they have passed.

I agree with Tony...we basically suck at this. Nerd haiku...No Nobel Prizes in Literature for any of us...Too bad.

Spence

Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Apr 3, 2013April 3rd, 2013, 12:24 am EDT
Jonathon's in the clear... limericks are permitted at all times.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Apr 3, 2013April 3rd, 2013, 6:35 am EDT
Jonathon's in the clear... limericks are permitted at all times.

Really?! :) Once a year is painful enough...Most folks, especially myself, wouldn't be ill served if they had a good editor at their disposal...;)

I remember my freshman english prof lecturing me on my run-on sentences...I explained that Faulkner and James Joyce did it..."Hell! Joyce wrote a whole book that is basically one sentence..." "Yeah...But you are neither of them." Ouch! :)

There once was a scientist in Alaska...;)

Spence

Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 3, 2013April 3rd, 2013, 8:46 am EDT
I was going to mention this but Jason has spoken for me, and he is the ultimate authority on this website. But, you are lucky Spence, my creativity has run out, at least with regards to poetry...gotta save it for the vise now!

Jonathon
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 3, 2013April 3rd, 2013, 12:28 pm EDT
"But, you are lucky Spence, my creativity has run out"

Oh, No! I'm devastated. I was hoping for more of your melodic murmurrings.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Kschaefer3
Kschaefer3's profile picture
St. Paul, MN

Kschaefer3 on Apr 3, 2013April 3rd, 2013, 12:50 pm EDT
I was hoping for more of your melodic murmurrings.
I am not sure if my murmurrings are quite as melodic, but I can certainly oblige ;)
Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Apr 3, 2013April 3rd, 2013
But, you are lucky Spence

That I am sir...That I am...

Tony & Eric whisper in Spencer's ear
"non-resident PA fishing license must buy..." :)

Other than Kurt, and those involved...sworn to secrecy...How come no one asked about this odd, "cyrptic" line? There was a mention of a trout stamp as well but I was having a hard enough time as it was with the forced rhyme.

The "fishing wagon" is loaded...with more flies any one man can toss all season, let alone in one week...The Molson's are a chillin...and the Turnpike awaits...

"Lucky" Spence is getting a guided tour from "those Pennsylvania Boys" of some very Hallowed Waters...I'll be incommunicado...Fishing report to follow. :) I should say reports...:)

Tony, Eric, Louis, Bruce, Shawn, John...I got my passport renewed so they will let me pass through Ohio on my way to the Keystone State...;)

Matt...We will miss you buddy! Eine Gute Reise and enjoy your trip, we will meet on a stream someday soon sir!

Vielen Dank!

Spence

Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Apr 4, 2013April 4th, 2013, 3:46 pm EDT
Bruce-

It did not go without notice that your humorous limerick on April 2 was in strict observance of the spirit of the Haiku Rule. Nice recovery.

As that aspect of the rule was unclear at the time, I believe your incomplete one on the 1st doesn't qualify you as an official scofflaw, which is the prime requirement for membership in the exclusive TN sect known as "Martin's Miscreants." Of course, Louis is the final arbiter and you may qualify for other reasons known by him.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman

Quick Reply