Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Zapada cinctipes (Nemouridae) (Tiny Winter Black) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Nymphs of this species were fairly common in late-winter kick net samples from the upper Yakima River. Although I could not find a key to species of Zapada nymphs, a revision of the Nemouridae family by Baumann (1975) includes the following helpful sentence: "2 cervical gills on each side of midline, 1 arising inside and 1 outside of lateral cervical sclerites, usually single and elongate, sometimes constricted but with 3 or 4 branches arising beyond gill base in Zapada cinctipes." This specimen clearly has the branches and is within the range of that species.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Jun 6, 2010June 6th, 2010, 1:42 am EDT
Hey Gonzo. What is the title of your book and is still being sold? Is it sold at Barnes & Noble because I have some gift cards to use.
Bruce
Gutcutter
Gutcutter's profile picture
Pennsylvania

Gutcutter on Jun 6, 2010June 6th, 2010, 2:56 am EDT
bruce
i bought it on amazon yesterday. "flyfishing pressured waters:tying tactics for today's trout"
the reviews were over the top - some guy named louis and another named shawn and some nutjob named jason...
tony
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jun 6, 2010June 6th, 2010, 6:11 am EDT
Bruce,

Surprisingly (to me at least), that poor rag is still available at B&N, though why they list it as a "paperback" is beyond me. Amazon has a better price, but gift cards might make the difference.

Tony,

Many thanks, and yes, all of the reviewers (including those in the national magazines) have been generous to a fault. Of all the kind words, this may have been the most surprising (scroll down to the bottom to bypass the usual locker-room innuendo of the preceding posts):
http://www.fishingkaki.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=644574
Also surprising is that this was apparently transcribed word for word. (There is an extraneous comma inserted in the third line and a misspelled word in the second paragraph.)
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jun 6, 2010June 6th, 2010, 10:05 am EDT
Hey, I was paid good money for that review!!

Actually I'm pretty sure I wrote it before I had even met Lloyd, or knew about this site. A buddy loaned the book to me, and I was amazed. The first really new fly designs I'd seen anywhere. Soon afterward I met Lloyd through the Spruce Creek Fly Company's board (sadly defunct) when he helped us identify a bug we were all puzzled over.

Just a day or so ago I applied one of his methods to a fly of my own design and burned a poly yarn parachute post into a mayfly wing after I had tied it on the hook stirrup style--the fly is one of the emergers tied on the Gamakatsu C15-BV hook that Gutcutter and I like. I'm eager to test the fly out.

I can't list all the little methods I've picked up from the book, and I've even tied and fished a number of Lloyd's designs. And caught fish on each of them, most recently a very picky big brown on his upside down mayfly dun.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Jun 6, 2010June 6th, 2010, 4:38 pm EDT
Gonzo agreed to give me 10% of his book revenue for that glowing endorsement. As a result, I've been able to cut back my hours at work and spend more time fishing.

In truth, though, it is a really good book.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com

Quick Reply