Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Skwala (Perlodidae) (Large Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This Skwala nymph still has a couple months left to go before hatching, but it's still a good representative of its species, which was extremely abundant in my sample for a stonefly of this size. It's obvious why the Yakima is known for its Skwala hatch.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Nov 14, 2007November 14th, 2007, 6:50 am EST
some of us regard the bluegill as God's gift to beginning angers. seems they backfired as a gift:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7094048.stm
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Lam
Lancaster, PA

Lam on Nov 14, 2007November 14th, 2007, 3:17 pm EST
Kind of ironic considering that Japan is one of the leading decimaters of the oceans bounty (tuna, wonten mutilation of sharks just for fins, whale slaughters, etc.).
Dano
Vanderbilt, Michigan

Dano on Nov 15, 2007November 15th, 2007, 12:56 am EST
...Sorta like the introduction of von Behr Brown trout into Brook trout waters....North Branch of the Pere Marquette River near Baldwin, Michigan by J.F. Ellis in 1884 being the first North American planting. The rest, as they say, is history.....

Dano

Eventually, all things merge into one...and a river runs through it.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Nov 19, 2007November 19th, 2007, 3:41 pm EST
Bluegills are EXTREMELY aggressive when it comes to territory. Ever kept any in an aquarium? One decides that he's King of the tank and, through incessant harassment, slowly kills everybody else in the tank. A friend of my father once had a big tank full of cichlids, which are notoriously territorial, like to rearange rocks and plants, and generally don't get along with each other. Well, this guy lived on a lake and he decided to add a bluegill to the mix, which proceded to beat the living sh*t out of his tough, aggressive cichlids - they were no match.

So sure, world, give us your dumb-ass carp! We got bluegills, we got bass, we got rainbow and brook trout...WATCH OUT!!!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply