Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Epeorus albertae (Heptageniidae) (Pink Lady) Mayfly Nymph from the East Fork Issaquah Creek in Washington
This specimen keys to the Epeorus albertae group of species. Of the five species in that group, the two known in Washington state are Epeorus albertae and Epeorus dulciana. Of the two, albertae has been collected in vastly more locations in Washington than dulciana, suggesting it is far more common. On that basis alone I'm tentatively putting this nymph in albertae, with the large caveat that there's no real information to rule out dulciana.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Al514
Al514's profile picture
Central New York

Al514 on Jun 29, 2007June 29th, 2007, 4:27 pm EDT
What are everyones ideas on a 2wt? I hear conditions have to be perfect for casting and I don't think that one will have the backbone to play a fish bigger than 10 inches. Am I waisting my money by getting a 2wt?
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Jun 30, 2007June 30th, 2007, 1:13 am EDT
if you can bridge your favorite water with your dining room table, if your idea of a big fly is a size 14, and if most of your casts need only reach 30 feet max, go for it. however, be prepared to take something larger when you leave home, because on some water, size matters. my workhorse is a 7'6" 3 wt that has brought me the occasional 18 incher, but on streams that take more than 4 steps to cross, i have to take the 9' 4 wt. out west, i even have to sling a 6 wt. same size fish, just bigger water. us tyros can be seduced by small things that look manageable, but they use big pencils in kindergarten for a reason.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Jun 30, 2007June 30th, 2007, 1:32 am EDT
CaseyP has some good advice ,Theirs another thing that comes to mind---------------when the water gets low enough for a 2wt, a person has to be careful how long you play a fish, with out over stressing him.
If you stay in calmer water with smaller flies I wouldn't say you are wasting your money. I fish a 6ft 4inch 4wt Bamboo that has handled quite a few fish over 20 inches. I know where you are comming from I like lighter action rods myself. Try a full flex 4 wt and see what you think..

John Dunn

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
RleeP
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

RleeP on Jun 30, 2007June 30th, 2007, 3:03 am EDT
I think the responses to date are both full of good info. Peronally, my take is that once you get below say a 4 wgt., you're in a place where expectations have to be tempered by an acceptance of a more narrow utility.

In that sense, I see the really light rods (3 wgt. and under) sort of like this dinky Phillips head screwdriver I keep in a drawer. When the task is a match for the equipment, it's a very valuable tool. But if I'm just wandering the house looking for things to tighten down or if the neighbor pops in and asks me if he can borrow a Phillips, it isn't the one I reach for. It's way too specific for that...

Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Jun 30, 2007June 30th, 2007, 3:20 am EDT
I bought a 2wt from the St. Croix outlet store in Park Falls, WI. (I can't see what is wrong with it and the price was right for a 2wt graphite rod.)

I use it with my kids to have fun catching bluegills. Amazing fun, a bluegill on a 2wt! It is great for that, but I don't use it for any serious trout fishing.
JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Jul 1, 2007July 1st, 2007, 12:11 am EDT

Kids and Bluegills, it does'ant get ant better than that.
O ya cold pop and jelly beans, the deadly four.:)

John no5.

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
Sbman07
ELk RIVER, MN

Sbman07 on Jan 2, 2008January 2nd, 2008, 3:53 pm EST
I wanted to do the same thing, i tried a 6' 3wt cabelas silver creek line almost like an ultra light, which I hated, then tried my buddy's 7' 3wt which was alright. I dont like using a 9' rod I have caught tons of fish on my work horse 7'6" 4wt that i love I caught my biggest bass on which was 5.5lbs on Blue lake in Zimmerman,MN. caught this beast on cheesy popper I found on a trail on the st. francis river
Three things I am never late for church, work, and fishing.
Al514
Al514's profile picture
Central New York

Al514 on Jan 3, 2008January 3rd, 2008, 1:07 pm EST
Now that I have acutally bought the 2wt that I was talking about and actually fished with it hard for most of the season, I can say that I love it. Casting is a lot easier than I expected and I could throw alot more line than I thought. One word comes to mind when I think about my 2wt this past summer/fall - FUN!. Fighting a 14 inch fish in a creek the width of a car with my 2wt is a blast. I highly recommend a 2wt for anyone who is considering getting one.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 3, 2008January 3rd, 2008, 6:20 pm EST
Take a look at this story:

http://www.mossycreek.com/one_weght.htm
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply