Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

QualityAqua has attached this picture to aid in identification. The message is below.
QualityAqua
QualityAqua on Jan 25, 2010January 25th, 2010, 1:12 am EST
Hello

I've found a very similar "insect" like the one in the pic in my tropical fish tank...

Can someone please help ID it and let me know if it is harmfull to the fish and plants and if so what is the best way to eradicate them?

NB: found the pic on another forum but it had no id...

Thanks in advance!
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jan 25, 2010January 25th, 2010, 3:40 am EST
QualityAqua-

The photo you posted from another forum is of a damselfly nymph. If the fish in your aquarium are as small or smaller than the nymph, it will likely eat them. On the other hand, if the fish in you aquarium are significantly larger that the damselfly nymph, one of them may eat it. If you don't want the damselfly nymph in your aquarium, either attempt removing it with an aquarium net, or just wait for it to reach nymphal maturity and emerge.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
QualityAqua
QualityAqua on Jan 25, 2010January 25th, 2010, 4:41 am EST
thanks for your reply taxon!

I caught one on Saturday. Sunday I found the largest guppy female (about 7cm) in the tank dead with a hole bored into its side... so I'm guessing theres more in there.

I'm catching all the fish out of that tank and removing all plants tonight and will then bleach the entire tank which I'm hoping will kill off any that are in there.

thanks again!
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jan 25, 2010January 25th, 2010, 5:38 am EST
QualityAqua-

That doesn't sound to me like anything a damselfly nymph would do. Perhaps an aquatic beetle or waterbug. Is it possible for you to take a macro photo of the culprit, and share it with us? In any event, your plan seems sound.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com

Quick Reply