Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Male Baetidae (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This dun emerged from a mature nymph on my desk. Unfortunately its wings didn't perfectly dry out.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

WestCO
WestCO's profile picture
Palisade, CO

WestCO on Aug 13, 2012August 13th, 2012, 7:42 pm EDT
I've been seeing these massive bugs. They may be big stones but I've never seen a stone this big. They're not quite as big as hummingbirds but they seem like it. They seem to stick to the sides and live in woody/grassy areas on the banks. The best description I can give is that they have a large abdomen and it seems like their wings are out to the side and don't really get to the top when they fly. I haven't seen any land so I can't tell you how they fold their wings. They're just really really big. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Thanks!
...but fishermen I have noticed, they don't care if I'm rich or poor, wearing robes or waders, all they care about is the fish, the river, and the game we play. For fishermen, the only virtues are patience, tolerance, and humility. I like this.
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Aug 13, 2012August 13th, 2012, 7:51 pm EDT
Dobsonflies. Seeing them around a big river are you -mebbe the Yampa or Colorado? There are LOTS of them there.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Aug 13, 2012August 13th, 2012, 8:10 pm EDT
We had giant stoneflies - Pteronarcys sp. - hatching out here in June. Never did throw an imitation, though I have a few Stimulators in the dry-fly box. I have only seen a few dobsonflies on trout streams in my life, but they sure are impressive! I think a minimum size 2 hook would be required to imitate them properly.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Aug 14, 2012August 14th, 2012, 12:35 am EDT
Hi WestCO-

Sounds to me like a Hummingbird Moth.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1oukxflS10
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Sayfu
Sayfu on Aug 14, 2012August 14th, 2012, 6:28 am EDT

Just a different comment. I've seen pteronarcys, a few, come off several months after the general hatch. We also get a big looking moth on the SF of the Snake, and the question often arises is it the female late Golden Stone(classenia)? and the flying females?, or is it an October Caddis? (dicosmoecus) They don't often get captured, just seen flying overhead, and look bigger than they are because of their large wings in the light. The female mutant stones, or short wings often fly upriver along the banks early in the morning to deposit their eggs. Many misunderstand the fact that it is the males that have the short wings that scurry along the rocky islands that get exposed when the water drops in the Fall, and scurry along the rocks, and fly poorly.
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Aug 14, 2012August 14th, 2012, 6:52 am EDT
Ah! Yes, possibly a Sphinx (Hummingbird) moth. Very different critters than Dobson's. Pretty rather than horrific.
WestCO
WestCO's profile picture
Palisade, CO

WestCO on Aug 14, 2012August 14th, 2012, 6:50 pm EDT
After looking at pictures I'd say its much closer to a hummingbird moth, even though at first I thought you guys were messing with me. After seeing pictures I'm not convinced that's what it is, but its much more similar than a dobson fly. Maybe its just from lack of paying attention, but why have I never seen these before, and now I see them everytime out?
...but fishermen I have noticed, they don't care if I'm rich or poor, wearing robes or waders, all they care about is the fish, the river, and the game we play. For fishermen, the only virtues are patience, tolerance, and humility. I like this.
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Aug 14, 2012August 14th, 2012, 7:23 pm EDT
Maybe its just from lack of paying attention, but why have I never seen these before, and now I see them everytime out?

Enjoy them for it may be awhile before you see them again in such numbers, if ever. Locked away in storage are hundreds of patterns I've tied over the years to imitate bugs I'll probably never see again in fishable numbers. A few are still in my boxes, for sentimental reasons I suppose... My library is full of books filled with information on hatches now obscure with nary a word on the hatches we find so important today. I remember having unbelievable salmonfly fishing in the Rockies in the late seventies that as a young man I hoped to repeat again year after year. Nope... The green drakes on the HF before the crowds found out were unbelievable. The spinner fall on Fall River? It was a great 20 year run... Nature is always surprising and the only constant is change.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
WestCO
WestCO's profile picture
Palisade, CO

WestCO on Aug 16, 2012August 16th, 2012, 8:56 pm EDT
Have you fished with these massive Godless killing machines? I'd bet a nice spun deer hair pattern would look pretty cool.
Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Aug 17, 2012August 17th, 2012, 12:22 pm EDT
WestCo -

I'm afraid you've left me a little confused with your last post. What are the godless killing machines you are referring to?
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
WestCO
WestCO's profile picture
Palisade, CO

WestCO on Aug 20, 2012August 20th, 2012, 3:57 pm EDT
Haha, Its a Stephen Colbert reference. That's what he calls bears. I was just adding a little hyperbole to the big bugs. I was just wondering if you knew of anyone actually creating an artificial and fishing them?
Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Aug 20, 2012August 20th, 2012, 5:44 pm EDT
Ha! :)LOL

Now that this "out of touch OF" knows what you are talking about, I'd be more afraid they'd fish me!

As to the bug, I have used colorful spun flies that look like a big moth for bass. I've never heard of anybody imitating a hummingbird moth for trout though.

Quick Reply