Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Kogotus (Perlodidae) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
This one pretty clearly keys to Kogotus, but it also looks fairly different from specimens I caught in the same creek about a month later in the year. With only one species of the genus known in Washington, I'm not sure about the answer to this ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

By Troutnut on July 8th, 2013
I think this was the best day of the hike. I woke up and poked my head outside the tent and saw a bull, cow, and calf caribou wandering around within 200 yards. Better still, it wasn't raining!

After climbing just a few hundred feet into the last pass of the trip, we had a relatively easy mostly-downhill hike for the rest of the trip. Sun and blue sky made the scenery even better, especially as we passed by a series of emerald alpine lakes.

Photos by Troutnut from Clearwater Mountains in Alaska

Beginning of Alpine Creek

From Clearwater Mountains in Alaska
Bull caribou walking away

Beginning of Alpine Creek. Alpine Creek starts at the lake outlet in the bottom of this picture.

Denali Highway back in view after hiking 19 miles.

Mountain harebell (Campanula lasiocarpa)

Climbing toward the last pass

Lake atop Alpine Creek

Wandering tattler. This type of sandpiper is known to nest next to high streams above treeline in rugged Alaska mountains.

Second lake down Alpine Creek

Clearwater Mountains in Alaska
Pass at the top of Alpine Creek (panorama). This detailed 360 degree panorama is best viewed full-size.

Saxifrage of some sort. Maybe yellow-spotted saxifrage (Sagifraga bronchialis) but it could be some other species of Saxifraga.

Panorama near the pass

Second lake down Alpine Creek

Dwarf buttercup (Ranunculus pygmaeus)

Little creek below the final pass

Rays of sun in the Susitna Valley

Morning caribou 2

Rainbow over upper Alpine Creek

Lake atop Alpine Creek

Dragonwort (Persicaria bistorta)

Comments / replies

Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jul 14, 2013July 14th, 2013, 7:34 am EDT
Wow! That's all I can say Jason. Just wonderful...and you even added some flora for Jonathon and a bird for Spence. ;)

Thanks for sharing! Beautiful!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jul 16, 2013July 16th, 2013, 7:59 pm EDT
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW...........

I guess there is some compensation for putting up with seemingly endless winters...this stuff is mind-blowing, Jason...the colors alone...and of course I love the flora shots & scientific names (a nod back at ya there, Spence!).

Won't be anywhere near as spectacular but I'll have to share some floral photos of my latest work (Karner Blue Butterfly habitat surveys for the Manistee National Forest). BTW Jason, I'm sure your insects are horrible, but today I saw the front of my work vehicle swarmed by at least 100 deer flies, I'm not kidding...I'm considering a full beekeeping suit and a smoker to keep them at bay when I can no longer avoid those survey areas where they threaten to drain one entirely of blood...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jul 17, 2013July 17th, 2013, 1:37 am EDT
The insects weren't bad on this trip, actually. :) That was one of the benefits of being up at high altitude on rainy days with highs mostly in the forties. Even at the start of and end of the trip (low altitude, fair weather) the mosquitoes were nothing compared to what we've had near Fairbanks for most of June and early July.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Jul 17, 2013July 17th, 2013, 8:39 am EDT
Holy cow? What beautiful photos and great scenery.
Thanks

Quick Reply