Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Shanemb2
Shanemb2 on Jan 17, 2015January 17th, 2015, 10:46 pm EST
My friend and I are planning a trip to the savage river in may. It's difficult finding information on this area. Any info would be very helpful. We plan on fishing the tailwaters. Finding water that holds trout and learning what insects are around is part of the adventure. I am more interested in information regarding where to camp and hike to the stream. We want to camp and do the trip relatively rustic. Thanks for your help.
Dryflyriley
Dryflyriley on Jan 18, 2015January 18th, 2015, 1:33 am EST
There are several remote camp sites by the road as you drive through the park. There are more on the head waters than tail, tail waters have two primary parking area where you access the stream. One word of caution the tail waters can be a little tricky wading do to the slick rocks.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 18, 2015January 18th, 2015, 4:53 am EST
Does this help you at all?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savage_River_State_Forest

Savage River State Forest Trail Guide | Forest Service ...
www.dnr.state.md.us/forests/savageguide.asp
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply