Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Holocentropus (Polycentropodidae) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to tentatively key to Holocentropus, although I can't make out the anal spines in Couplet 7 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae nor the dark bands in Couplet 4 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae, making me wonder if I went wrong somewhere in keying it out. I don't see where that could have happened, though. It might also be that it's a very immature larva and doesn't possess all the identifying characteristics in the key yet. If Holocentropus is correct, then Holocentropus flavus and Holocentropus interruptus are the two likely possibilities based on range, but I was not able to find a description of their larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jul 21, 2007July 21st, 2007, 7:24 pm EDT
The idea recently came up in another topic that we should highlight the best discussions we've had here, so that it's easier for newcomers to find them. Nominate your favorites in the replies here and I'll add the most popular ones to the list in this post.

I know some people (myself included) would find reason to nominate at least half the discussions on here, but there wouldn't be much point making this list then, because people could just as easily browse the whole collection. So let's keep this to the top 5-10%, judged on the basis of the entire discussion (if there's just a single quote you really like, that goes in the other 'Best of' topic).

The List

Up to you guys. Let's get some nominations!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Jul 22, 2007July 22nd, 2007, 1:15 am EDT
"And Then I Hooked the Friggin' Bat" has been a surprisingly great thread. I wet myself several times reading the stories in that one.

I have other favorites, but I'll leave it at that one for now.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jul 22, 2007July 22nd, 2007, 8:25 am EDT
Don't miss "Advice for Taking Little Kids Flyfishing" (in the general section). It's mostly helpful and supportive advice, but Shawn's account of parental frustration in the eighth post is a truly hilarious slice of life.

For those few whose tastes run to linguistic and lyrical perversions, you might want to check out "latin names of bugs" and "Mutillidae" (also in the general section). Though these threads have little to do with fishing, you'll find Louis, Roger, Casey, Shawn, et al. at their quizzical best. (Actually, I hesitate to mention "Mutillidae" because I'm afraid I'm at my worst--committing my infamous "haiku snafu."
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Jul 24, 2007July 24th, 2007, 7:34 am EDT
I thought this thread would take off a little faster. Here are my other favorites:

"Fishing and patience" (this was started from another good thread, I think)
"Must have fly's" [sic] (a great thread for beginning tiers, along with "Learning to tie" )
"Fishing nymphs, then emergers, then low duns, then high duns"

-Shawn

P.S. I also like the "Taking Kids Flyfishing" thread, but for selfish reasons - I think the picture I posted of my son with his first fish is my favorite photo ever.
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Jul 25, 2007July 25th, 2007, 9:33 am EDT
"Mutillidae" gets my vote.
http://www.troutnut.com/topic/548/Mutillidae

Falsifly
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Jul 25, 2007July 25th, 2007, 12:33 pm EDT
Hey, it's nice to have some upper Midwest support. I was beginning to feel over run by all the PA guys! :)

GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jul 25, 2007July 25th, 2007, 12:45 pm EDT
John, I'll let you in on a little secret: none of us are really from PA. We're actually all sitting near a Midwestern gem of a stream where the fishing's really good, posting on our laptops, wearing our cheeseheads, drinking good Midwestern beer, and laughing our a---s off! We figure that if we can convince enough people that there's still a trout or two living in PA, they'll all forget about our favorite Midwestern streams and flock to Pressured America (PA). Well, to be honest, there is one trout living in PA--but his jaw is getting pretty sore after having been caught about a billion times! :)
Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Jul 25, 2007July 25th, 2007, 12:57 pm EDT
Geez, that sounds very familiar!! (But it's sipping red wine, not gulping a beer. Beer was last week.)
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jul 25, 2007July 25th, 2007, 6:29 pm EDT
Sorry, John, I guess my Midwestern gang is a bit more low-brow than yours. (Hey, I notice you didn't deny wearing the cheesehead.) :)
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 14, 2013January 14th, 2013, 1:35 pm EST
Jason had a good idea with this one; I'm bumping this thread up to see if some of the newer guys have some favorite threads of their own. One of the threads is the cause for the infamous "no haiku rule."
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Nov 3, 2013November 3rd, 2013, 6:27 pm EST
at odd moments lately i've wondered what ever happened to Mr. and Mrs. Leakywaders. when i posted on the Practice Rod Yarn thread today, their story popped up in a list below my post.

http://www.troutnut.com/topic/1626/confused

enjoy! it really is a classic.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Chiquis
Chiquis's profile picture
San Diego

Chiquis on Jul 11, 2016July 11th, 2016, 9:37 am EDT
Im agree with you! Great topic!

Quick Reply