Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Leakyboots
Hermitage,pa

Leakyboots on Jan 12, 2017January 12th, 2017, 11:37 pm EST
Would like to see some of your own paterns that have worked.
Will Shaver
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 13, 2017January 13th, 2017, 12:49 pm EST
You show me yours first.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Leakyboots
Hermitage,pa

Leakyboots on Jan 13, 2017January 13th, 2017, 11:44 pm EST
having technical difficulties. Can't get a clear picture
Will Shaver
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 14, 2017January 14th, 2017, 5:26 am EST
I don't have any specific patterns that are better than others but in more general terms I would say I have very good success with thorax dun and comparadun style dry flies. I believe sparseness is better than heavily hackled. Presentation and size is much more important than the fly.

There are dozens of Hendicksons, BWO's, Sulfurs, Cahills, etc but all of the really good flies are going to incorporate certain features that make them good fish catchers.

Put the fly within a few inches of the rise form, not too far above the fish, get a perfect drag free drift and the fish will most likely eat your fly.

Regarding subsurface flies it is hard to go wrong with Hare's Ear, Pheasant Tails, Prince, Some Baetis and Sulfur imitations and round it out with some caddis larvae and pupa and a few generic stonefly patterns.

For streamers a white marabou, a couple of Wooly Buggers in black and brown, a Black Nose Dace, and a couple of Clouser minnows.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Jan 15, 2017January 15th, 2017, 12:57 am EST
I have many, and hyperbolic descriptions for each. They are -most of them- un-tested beyond my own traipsing around.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 15, 2017January 15th, 2017, 1:17 am EST
A thorough search of this forum's past threads will yield some interesting samples.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jan 15, 2017January 15th, 2017, 5:50 am EST
Here's one: http://www.troutnut.com/topic/8016/KBF-photos-for-Kyle-and-others#37132

What does it catch? http://www.troutnut.com/topic/9234/What-is-it-with-my-biggest-trout-coming-in-NOVEMBER#47053

There's a few for you, Will.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply