Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Amphizoa (Amphizoidae) Beetle Larva from Sears Creek in Washington
This is the first of it's family I've seen, collected from a tiny, fishless stream in the Cascades. The three species of this genus all live in the Northwest and are predators that primarily eat stonefly nymphs Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019).
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

GearTheory
GearTheory's profile picture
Indianapolis

GearTheory on May 7, 2013May 7th, 2013, 11:33 am EDT
I used to have a fishin hat identical to the one Art Lee wears in his photos... big long spoon bill (green) with no neck guard...

there are similar ones out there... but I am really looking for a match..

anyone know where one might be found ?
Gear & Theory
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on May 7, 2013May 7th, 2013, 3:32 pm EDT
Yeah, cool hat. I think it's the old style billfisher's hat. Ernest Hemingway and Zane Grey used to wear them as well. I think I've seen them on a non-fly fishing saltwater site. Spend a little time trolling in that genre to see what turns up.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
GearTheory
Indianapolis

GearTheory on May 9, 2013May 9th, 2013, 6:10 pm EDT
Thanks Mack.

I found what is called the original "Oysterman" black bill but close enough.

There was a better match as far as color on ebay but used.

Mikey

Gear & Theory
GearTheory
Indianapolis

GearTheory on May 13, 2013May 13th, 2013, 3:44 am EDT
Quaker Marine. Though it has a black bill it is very close, dull underside with shiny top (of bill).

http://quakermarine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=252&zenid=c357f4bcd0f67845f0ed48aabfd90c2d
Gear & Theory
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on May 13, 2013May 13th, 2013, 8:00 am EDT
Speaking of Mr. Art Lee what has happened to him? He seems to have fallen off the fly fishing scene for quite a number of years. I used to see him very often on the lower East Branch with his buddy Galen Mercer. Anyone know what Art is doing these days?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on May 13, 2013May 13th, 2013, 3:24 pm EDT
If that's Art Lee's hat you better give it back to him.
Catskilljon
Upstate NY

Catskilljon on Feb 22, 2014February 22nd, 2014, 4:29 pm EST
Speaking of Mr. Art Lee what has happened to him? He seems to have fallen off the fly fishing scene for quite a number of years. I used to see him very often on the lower East Branch with his buddy Galen Mercer. Anyone know what Art is doing these days?

Matt,

I see him up there [catskills] every now and then, he is still kickin! Shows up at the dinners sometimes but I don't think he does much fishing anymore. CJ

ps...how are you doing?
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 23, 2014February 23rd, 2014, 12:41 am EST
Hello John,

"I don't think he does much fishing anymore. CJ"

I'm feeling very good and thanks for asking. That is a big surprise. He used to fish all over. He especially loved Atlantic salmon and chasing big trout on the upper & lower East Branch. I'm fishing more now at 70 than I was in the earlier years and I expect to continue to do so for as long as I'm able to cast a fly rod.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply