Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Ephemerella mucronata (Ephemerellidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This is an interesting one. Following the keys in Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019) and Jacobus et al. (2014), it keys clearly to Ephemerella. Jacobus et al provide a key to species, but some of the characteristics are tricky to interpret without illustrations. If I didn't make any mistakes, this one keys to Ephemerella mucronata, which has not previously been reported any closer to here than Montana and Alberta. The main character seems to fit well: "Abdominal terga with prominent, paired, subparallel, spiculate ridges." Several illustrations or descriptions of this holarctic species from the US and Europe seem to match, including the body length, tarsal claws and denticles, labial palp, and gill shapes. These sources include including Richard Allen's original description of this species in North America under the now-defunct name E. moffatae in Allen RK (1977) and the figures in this description of the species in Italy.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

DayTripper
DayTripper's profile picture
Northern MI

DayTripper on Jun 10, 2008June 10th, 2008, 2:00 am EDT
Found a monster Salmonfly this weekend, just over 2.5" long. Not sure why, but I got some funny looks from the guys I was with when I started jumping for joy...

Trtklr
Banned
Michigan

Trtklr on Jun 10, 2008June 10th, 2008, 3:26 am EDT
are both of these salmonflies? I can't say I have seen such a bug, I live in michigan. The one on the bottom looks a little familiar but I could be thinking of something else. Of course the one on top looks like a colorful version of a hex.
I have seen nothing more beautiful than the sunrise on a cold stream.
DayTripper
Northern MI

DayTripper on Jun 10, 2008June 10th, 2008, 3:41 am EDT
The one on top is a Green Drake
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jun 10, 2008June 10th, 2008, 8:01 am EDT
You've got the bottom bug (or something very much like it, in the same genus, Pteronarcys) in Michigan. They'll typically be out at night around the same time as the Hexes, but near more riffly habitat and in much, much smaller numbers.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Jjlyon01
SUNY Environmental Science and Forestry, Syracuse

Jjlyon01 on Jun 10, 2008June 10th, 2008, 12:56 pm EDT
Where did you find that salmonfly? Did you find it somewhere near Albany? I have never seen one one the Battenkill or streams around it.
"I now walk into the wild"
69er
Banned
kilsyth

69er on Jun 10, 2008June 10th, 2008, 1:10 pm EDT
(insert ban-worthy vandalism here)
i think im a gehy persons
DayTripper
Northern MI

DayTripper on Jun 10, 2008June 10th, 2008, 2:44 pm EDT
No not around Albany(I wish). I was down on the West Branch of the Delaware over the weekend. I ran into the Salmonfly at a gas station in Hancock on the bank of the East Branch.
Jjlyon01
SUNY Environmental Science and Forestry, Syracuse

Jjlyon01 on Jun 11, 2008June 11th, 2008, 12:20 pm EDT
Ah ya. It would be real nice to see a hatch up our way huh. I just wish I could be somewhere that had trout... I really miss catching trout in the Battenkill but I guess I can deal with the the 9lb largemouth and the alligator gar down in Texas for a few more weeks.
"I now walk into the wild"
DayTripper
Northern MI

DayTripper on Jun 11, 2008June 11th, 2008, 2:44 pm EDT
I don't know how you do it :)

Quick Reply