Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Skwala (Perlodidae) (Large Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This Skwala nymph still has a couple months left to go before hatching, but it's still a good representative of its species, which was extremely abundant in my sample for a stonefly of this size. It's obvious why the Yakima is known for its Skwala hatch.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 11, 2019March 11th, 2019, 11:20 am EDT
I've been curious to learn has anyone been talking to Spence or Tony aka Gutcutter? I've not seen a post from either in over a year.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Mar 12, 2019March 12th, 2019, 3:12 am EDT
Me either, wondering what happened to them...?

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 12, 2019March 12th, 2019, 12:01 pm EDT
Coincidentally I was at a local fly shop today and ran into Eric Naguski. I don't remember his screen name on Troutnut but he guides in central PA on the Letort, Big Spring, Yellow Breeches, and others. He knows Tony quite well and I asked him about Tony and Eric said he is in frequent communication with Tony. Tony is very involved in his four children and specifically in hockey with his two sons. Eric said Tony fished Henry's Fork twice in 2018 and Eric and Tony are going to fish it again in June 2019.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Mar 13, 2019March 13th, 2019, 3:36 am EDT
He's a "hockey Dad", sure that keeps him busy. Now what about Spence??

Jonathon

P.S. Four kids has got to be a handful!
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Mar 13, 2019March 13th, 2019, 8:25 am EDT
I just shot a PM Spence's way, hope things are well with him.

Hockey Grandpa's are OK too, I've got 3 grandkids (2 boys and a girl) and my oldest daughter is the Equipment Manager in the Youth League sponsored by the AHL team here in W MI...great program, great sport.

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Mar 17, 2019March 17th, 2019, 10:54 am EDT
Hey boys! Just got the note from Rogue. Sorry to have dropped out a bit. Been busy.

Hope you all are ok.

The Michigan Fly Fishing Club just finished their 42nd Midwest Fly Fishing Expo this past weekend. We had a wonderful show, but it’s a little work and I was there all weekend.

I’m in touch with Tony and Eric and yeah they are busy.

I’ll try and post a couple pics.

Thanks for trying to keep in contact!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Mar 18, 2019March 18th, 2019, 6:23 am EDT
HE LIVES!!! Glad to hear it, Spence. Been behind the vise a lot lately? Time for us all to start if we haven't...I haven't but I did organize all of my flies this winter so at least I know what all I got now.

Post any and all pics Spence, you know we enjoy 'em. Say hi to Tony & Eric for the rest of us!

Jonathon

Quick Reply