Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Sweltsa (Chloroperlidae) (Sallfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This species was fairly abundant in a February sample of the upper Yakima.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch has attached these 2 pictures to this report. The message is below.

Report at a Glance

General RegionAbove the Route 305 bridge
Specific LocationRR Trestle near dairy farm
Dates FishedMay 22 - 24
Time of Day7:30 - 1:30 & 5:00 - 8:30
Fish Caught5/22 - 5/24 dozens of little 5"- 8" browns
Conditions & HatchesMostly caddis, some Sulfurs, and a few #18 Baetis.

Details and Discussion

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on May 27, 2017May 27th, 2017, 9:13 am EDT
Arrived at the RR trestle above the 305 bridge at 7:30 a.m. Fish were rising well to emerging caddis. I don't know this river and water very well at all. It is only my 3rd trip after living in PA for 32 years!

I caught a bunch, maybe 20, little browns from 6" - 10". They look wild but as I said I don't know diddly about that stream.

I was getting bored with all the little fish and finally saw a very respectable rise form. I covered the fish twice and it ate the #18 CDC wing Baetis really well. It fought very strongly and ran about 60' of line out. It was very stubborn and when I slipped it into the net I was really surprised, and elated, at how big it was. I waded over close to shore and was able to put a tape on it and it measured 19".
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on May 27, 2017May 27th, 2017, 10:04 am EDT
Very nice, Matt. Thanks for sharing.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on May 27, 2017May 27th, 2017, 10:45 am EDT
Matt, beautiful fish, thanks for sharing the photo. I have had nothing but problems with cell phones and computers, along with a hernia and knee surgery since Janurary. I'm fed up with the cell phone, takes great pics, that whats its known for. But over quality sucks, second phone in 4 months, and I still cant figure out how to get pics here! The only good thing I have going on today is my gloomis nrx 5 wt. arrived today, lawn casting its awesome! But we shall see about the real thing soon I hope.
Mike.

Quick Reply