Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Male Baetidae (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This dun emerged from a mature nymph on my desk. Unfortunately its wings didn't perfectly dry out.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Motrout has attached these 5 pictures. The message is below.
Trappers Lake in the Flat Tops Wilderness, just about 1 mile from camp
A  very pretty small stream just a few hundred yards from camp. Full of little brookies and cutthroat
A view from near the summit of the mountain we climbed. Wild country
The same stream as the little one pictured above...About 4 miles downstream after several mountain tributaries came in. This part of the stream had less holding water, but some very nice trout for this altitude in the few  good pools. This is just about 50 yards above where the river flows out of the wilderness area, and is the last public, fishable water for many miles.
A brook trout from the section of stream in the picture directly above this one. Taken on a #18 Caddis Pupae fished below a #12 Parachute Adams.
Motrout
Motrout's profile picture
Motrout on Sep 13, 2011September 13th, 2011, 10:48 am EDT
Sorry I am so late in posting any pictures or a report, but I've been really busy. Maybe some of you remember that I was headed out to the Flat Tops in Colorado the second week of August. Well, fish were caught, mountains were climbed, and a great time was had. The fish were mostly small (we were doing all of our fishing between 8800 and 10,000 feet, so you pretty much expect that) but pretty. Both brookies and cutthroat, plus a couple of cuttbows on a relatively "lower" section on one stream. Here are some pictures.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Sep 13, 2011September 13th, 2011, 12:25 pm EDT
What a lovely spot!

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Sep 13, 2011September 13th, 2011, 10:59 pm EDT
Beautiful pictures brotheran!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
Kaleem287
Kaleem287 on Sep 13, 2011September 13th, 2011, 11:12 pm EDT
hi guys visit this link . . .

http://7mliveonline.com/
Kaleem287
Kaleem287 on Sep 13, 2011September 13th, 2011, 11:12 pm EDT
hi guys visit this link . . . http://7mliveonline.com/
Motrout
Motrout on Sep 14, 2011September 14th, 2011, 4:45 am EDT
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. It's a trip I won't forget for quite awhile.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Sep 14, 2011September 14th, 2011, 9:54 am EDT
WOW, beautiful!! Looks like a wonderful trip there, MO. I see that your brookie photo truned out like too many of my wildflower shots - the background is in focus instead of the subject, though we can still see what a beautiful fish it is. I've been catching brookies like that all summer long around here, and no matter how small they are, they're like little precious gemstones. And I just love that shot you took near the summit. Isn't the West grand? Gotta get back out there myself one of these days, maybe back to Oregon to see some of my old stomping grounds...this time of the year always reminds me of when I first moved out to Coos Bay in August of '92.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Motrout
Motrout on Sep 14, 2011September 14th, 2011, 10:31 am EDT
Yeah, I have to admit that my photography skills are very much lacking. Probably it didn't help either that all of these pics were taken on a cell phone camera.

Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Sep 14, 2011September 14th, 2011, 11:02 am EDT
MO, it's not your photographic skills that are lacking - those are fine photos! It's the autofocuser on your cell phone camera. As I mentioned, I have the same problem on my point-n-shoot Nikon Coolpix - it wants to focus on the background and not the subject in the foreground. I have learned to push the shoot button halfway down and check the focus on the LCD screen before going all the way to make the shot, and sometimes I have to push it a dozen times before the subject comes into proper focus. Ahhh, yes, those modern conveniences just create their own new problems - you don't have to worry about getting the focus just right manually anymore but then it might not focus on what you want it to...Kinda like computers which make our lives so much easier until they decide to take a sh*t and stop working, then you can't get anything done!!

Again, nice shots, beautiful place, and looks like a wonderful adventure. I bet the flora and fauna on the way were pretty spectacular, too.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Motrout
Motrout on Sep 14, 2011September 14th, 2011, 2:33 pm EDT
I appreciate the compliments. Yes, the flora and the fauna was quite spectacular. As you can make out in the pictures, this particular area of the Flat-Tops was heavily burned by the Big Fish Fire in 2002. Which means that what used to be thick woods are now meadows, with a greater variety of wildflowers than I believe I've ever seen anywhere before. There is a good population of both elk and moose in the area and we saw lots of sign, but unfortunately we saw neither. We did have a beautiful 5x5 mule deer that visited our camp every night about a half hour after sunset, which was very cool.

Quick Reply