Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Motrout
Motrout's profile picture
Motrout on Jul 11, 2014July 11th, 2014, 7:58 am EDT
I'm gonna be in that part of the world in a couple of weeks (last couple days of July, first couple of August._ I'll be based out of Ridgway State park along the Uncompahgre tailwater (below Ridgway Dam). I'm also looking into heading over to the Black Canyon to fish the East Portal. This is going to be a little bit of a hit and run trip, so a full hike-in to the Black Canyon looks unlikely at this point.

I've only got three solid days to fish, so it's unfortunately going to have to be a "just hit the highlights" kind of deal. Anyone ever been to that area before?

I've fished a ton in NW Colorado, but that part of the state may as well be the dark side of the moon, and I'm excited as heck to see it. I've been told to expect a pretty good Pale Morning Dun hatch on the Unc, so I've got a bunch of those ready to go.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply