Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Amphizoa (Amphizoidae) Beetle Larva from Sears Creek in Washington
This is the first of it's family I've seen, collected from a tiny, fishless stream in the Cascades. The three species of this genus all live in the Northwest and are predators that primarily eat stonefly nymphs Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019).
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Report at a Glance

General RegionNortheast
Dates Fished04/13/2008
Time of Day2:00 - 6:15 PM
Fish CaughtWILD brown trout!
Conditions & HatchesBeautiful 40 degree day! The water was nice and chilly, and the flow was about right (maybe a little low).

No insects coming off of the water, save a midge or two; I did not seine the stream.

Details and Discussion

Chris_3g
Chris_3g on Apr 16, 2008April 16th, 2008, 1:29 pm EDT
The extent of my experience with wild trout is unfortunately limited (save a trip to Colorado last year), but I have to say that a full day spent catching wild browns brings on a new appreciation for trout. The coloration exhibited by these fish is amazing, and they fight as hard, if not harder, than stocked trout double their size (holdovers included). Anyway, I really just wanted to share a few pictures with you guys. Later!

It worked out that I couldn't attach pictures to the post, because I've been wanting to put together a Flickr page for a while. It's only a start, but here are some of the pictures from the outing I spoke of above. Enjoy.

Wild Browns

Chris.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 19, 2008April 19th, 2008, 9:03 pm EDT
Did you change the upper case
(User tried to post an image here without an source.)
to lower case?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Apr 19, 2008April 19th, 2008, 9:34 pm EDT
I think there's a bug in the photo uploading code. I really don't have time to find it right now.

One thing that should work, which Wbranch hinted at, is that you could upload the images elsewhere (like Imageshack or Flickr) and just use the img forum code tag to insert them here. That's not ideal but it might work for you in until I can find the other bug.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist

Quick Reply