Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Holocentropus (Polycentropodidae) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to tentatively key to Holocentropus, although I can't make out the anal spines in Couplet 7 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae nor the dark bands in Couplet 4 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae, making me wonder if I went wrong somewhere in keying it out. I don't see where that could have happened, though. It might also be that it's a very immature larva and doesn't possess all the identifying characteristics in the key yet. If Holocentropus is correct, then Holocentropus flavus and Holocentropus interruptus are the two likely possibilities based on range, but I was not able to find a description of their larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Red_green_h
Red_green_h's profile picture
New Mexico

Red_green_h on Dec 1, 2020December 1st, 2020, 9:03 am EST
This is a great story (I think). I went to my neighborhood mom and pop fishing and gunsmith shop to get a new flybox and casually asked about vises. The original owner passed away last year and his oldest daughter took over. The place has been open since late 60s. At first she told me they don't sell vises anymore since they downsized after the death of her father. Long story short the 3 kids fought over the business after he passed and 2 of them wanted to liquidate the store and divide it up. She bought the 2 siblings out and moved to a smaller store front. So I'm just shooting the poop with the gunsmith who has been there since the beginning and the daughter says, "oh wait just a minute I think I got something that might interest you." So she goes over to this filing cabinet and pulls out this old box. It's an old tying kit. She offered it to me for $15 and threw in an old Thompson vice, some clear lacquer, an assortment of about a 100 hooks, some scissors, and a fly tying book. The kit came with a bobbin and some type of clamp with an assortment of ribbons, yarn, and feathers. I wasn't going to start until spring but since I ran into this I might as well start now!!!
< />< />20201201_142804 by < />Ryan Norris, on Flickr
< />< />20201201_142813 by < />Ryan Norris, on Flickr
< />< />20201201_142841 by < />Ryan Norris, on Flickr
< />< />20201201_142849 by < />Ryan Norris, on Flickr
< />< />20201201_142906 by < />Ryan Norris, on Flickr

I feel like this could be one of those deals you come across at a garage sale or something like that. Did I hit the jackpot? What say you? What else do I need to start tying flies?
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Dec 1, 2020December 1st, 2020, 10:19 am EST
Cool, nice vise, and the clamp thing are your hackle pliers. Herters has not been around for along time, so maybe the head cement may not be usable. Looks like you have enough to get started, and then you can go nuts! I'm a prime example. But really its a wonderful hobby and now with the internet you have access to so many patterns and techniques. And that would were I would start, if you have some patterns for your streams in mind just goggle them and I think you will be amazed at the info out there. Maybe a class at your local fly shop or T.U. club, there are lots of folks out there who are willing to help.
Mike.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Dec 1, 2020December 1st, 2020, 11:23 am EST
Cool. I started with a Thomson Vise, and tied many flies on it. It's a classic. If the head cement is still liquid, you might thin it with something like laquer thinner or acetone and actually use it--but it may be too old, as Mike said. I often use nail polish for head cement, and it can easily be thinned with acetone. Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails is good stuff. I coat thread bodies for Zebra Midges and Iron Lotuses with it too, starting with one thinned coat to penetrate, then a thicker coat to seal (I keep several bottles, some thinned more, some less). Have fun!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Dec 2, 2020December 2nd, 2020, 3:57 am EST
Blast from the past, I started with that same kit in mid 1960s. Bought it at a sportng goods store in Muskegon Heights, MI. Also bought the only copy they had of the Traver's Anatomy of a Fisherman. My dad about killed me when he saw what I spent all the $$ I had. What a life it started.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Dec 4, 2020December 4th, 2020, 4:18 pm EST
I wouldn't say you hit the 4jackpot but the Herter's book is an awesome look into the past. I have had one for 30 years and while I've never read it cover to cover there are some neat reads in it about all sorts of fly fishing topics. The vise will be fine until you think you need more versatility.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply