Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Glossosoma (Glossosomatidae) (Little Brown Short-horned Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
I caught this tiny larva without a case, but it seems to key pretty clearly to to Glossosomatidae. From there, the lack of sclerites on the mesonotum points to either Glossosoma or Anagapetus. Although it's difficult to see in a 2D image from the microscope, it's pretty clear in the live 3D view that the pronotum is only excised about 1/3 of its length to accommodate the forecoxa, not 2/3, which points to Glossosoma at Couplet 5 of the Key to Genera of Glossosomatidae Larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Red_green_h
Red_green_h's profile picture
New Mexico

Red_green_h on Jan 16, 2021January 16th, 2021, 2:20 am EST
Here it is. My attempt at a Royal Wulff. I know areas I need to improve on. The transitions between the peacock herl and red body can be cleaner and more distinct. I should've done more raps with the hackle too. But overall I'm pleased and look forward to improving. I guess the big test will be if it catches fish.

< />

< />

< />
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Jan 16, 2021January 16th, 2021, 2:34 am EST
Ryan,

Well done, and with a fairly difficult fly to start with! I wouldn't be overly concerned with tying this pattern too 'sparse' either, it looks 'fishy' with the hackle the way it is...as you said, the trout will be the final arbiter. Lots of suggestions and advice on tying already, I'll only add that Kelly Galloup has a good Youtube thing going and every now and then I'll catch a couple hours of his vast experience and some welcome (dry) humor as a bonus...

Keep tying, time at the vise will only make you better at it!

Roguerat

"Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Jan 17, 2021January 17th, 2021, 7:43 am EST
It will catch fish, keeping working at it. It’s a life long pursuit.
Mike.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 17, 2021January 17th, 2021, 2:45 pm EST
Mike's right; it will catch fish. In time you'll find it all will get easier; as with most things, practice and experience will pay off.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply