Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Female Sweltsa borealis (Chloroperlidae) (Boreal Sallfly) Stonefly Adult from Harris Creek in Washington
I was not fishing, but happened to be at an unrelated social event on a hill above this tiny creek (which I never even saw) when this stonefly flew by me. I assume it came from there. Some key characteristics are tricky to follow, but process of elimination ultimately led me to Sweltsa borealis. It is reassuringly similar to this specimen posted by Bob Newell years ago. It is also so strikingly similar to this nymph from the same river system that I'm comfortable identifying that nymph from this adult. I was especially pleased with the closeup photo of four mites parasitizing this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on May 16, 2020May 16th, 2020, 1:42 am EDT
Kind of an esoteric question, but I'm wondering about favorite or effective Caddis emerger patterns here. Any experience or opinions on LaFontaine sparkle pupa vs. Iris Caddis flies? I've got minimal experience with either but I'm tying today (between downpours, the local streams are at 3-4X normal/wadeable flows) and venturing into new territory of Caddis patterns.

tight lines,

Roguerat

"Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on May 16, 2020May 16th, 2020, 12:31 pm EDT
I have fished both and prefer the LaFontaine emergent pupa with the trailing shuck over the Iris caddis. I like the 180 degree bubble on top. I tie it in only rust or green body. I always use tan yarn for the shuck and bubble and coastal brown deer hair sparse for the wing.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
BoulderWork
BoulderWork on May 18, 2020May 18th, 2020, 1:43 am EDT
Roguerat,

Wbranch and I have the same beliefs. I am a big advocate of Gary LaFontaine patterns. The combination of Gary LaFontaine's Caddisflies and Thomas Ames Caddisflies publications fill my on-going pursuit. A very key consideration for duplication of the LaFontaine sparkle series is to utilize the correct Sparkle Yarn materials.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on May 18, 2020May 18th, 2020, 11:01 am EDT
Boulderwork wrote;

A very key consideration for duplication of the LaFontaine sparkle series is to utilize the correct Sparkle Yarn materials.

That is a very good point while I have never adhered to Mr. LaFontaine's "Touch Dub" technique to apply dubbing to create the body. I use very fine Antron that I purchased years ago in a ten color dispenser. I make a dubbing loop and insert chopped up strands of the Antron into the dubbing loop. But the yarn I use for the bubble has great translucency and sparkle. It is three strand yarn and depending on the hook size I use one or two strands of yarn for the covert/bubble. I separate the fibers with my bodkin. A few fibers become the trailing shuck.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply