Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Mar 21, 2010March 21st, 2010, 5:40 am EDT
Hi! I know the Grannom adult has a dark brown to black body, but what color is the deep sparkle pupa body and shroud and what color is the emergent sparkle pupa body color and shroud. Would a tan shroud suffice for both?
Bruce
Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Mar 21, 2010March 21st, 2010, 5:55 am EDT
Jason has an entire section on the website, with photos, on the Grannom (Brachycentrus)...

http://www.troutnut.com/hatch/1751/Caddisfly-Brachycentrus-Grannoms
LittleJ
Hollidaysburg Pa

LittleJ on Mar 21, 2010March 21st, 2010, 6:18 am EDT
The shuck is white and the pupa is dark brown/black. I use a dark brown ice dub for the body on my bubble pupa. The larva in the case is bright green, but it emerges a dark color.
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Mar 21, 2010March 21st, 2010, 6:43 am EDT
Bruce,
I tie mine with a very sparse tan shroud dark brown underbody, partridge wing pads, and dark brown head. I think the key to tying this well is to keep the "bubble" as sparse as possible, it should be more of a suggestion of the bubble than a definate bubble look ( if that makes sense).
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Mar 21, 2010March 21st, 2010, 12:39 pm EDT
Thank. I guess I had it right. I used dark brown dubbing for the body, white antron for the bubble and a black head. To try and speed things up I used a dry fly hook for both the deep pupa and emerger. I used quick decent dub for the deep pupa. I used dry fly dubbing and a sparse deer hair wing for the emerger.

Quick Reply