Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Ventral view of a Hydropsyche (Hydropsychidae) (Spotted Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
With a bit of help from the microscope, this specimen keys clearly and unsurprisingly to Hydropsyche.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Bobbyg
North Carolina

Bobbyg on Jun 7, 2010June 7th, 2010, 3:38 am EDT
Has anyone tried these flies? Opinions?

May be viewed at Parks Fly Shop site

http://www.parksflyshop.com/newflies.htm No affiliation.

Bob

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."

- Henry David Thoreau
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jun 10, 2010June 10th, 2010, 6:41 am EDT
The Clacka Caddis looks like a hackled version of the Iris Caddis, a western pattern. I was just introduced to the Iris Caddis on the Delaware River by a big fan who seemed to know his stuff. I'm beginning to tie and experiment with the Iris Caddis a little. The jury's still out for me on it, but I suspect if it doesn't work for me, it will be my own predilections and habits not the fly's faults that are responsible. The Iris Caddis is typically used as an emerger pattern.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Bobbyg
North Carolina

Bobbyg on Jun 10, 2010June 10th, 2010, 7:11 am EDT
Thanks for the reply Martin.

I've been told by others that it appears to be a variation of the Iris Caddis.

I believe it will be worth a try out in Montana this August.
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."

- Henry David Thoreau
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jun 10, 2010June 10th, 2010, 8:44 am EDT
I'm sure it will, and it's very easy to tie. I've had my best luck with the wing binding in one end a bit to the side of the body, making the loop a little large, binding it a bit to the other side of the body, then pulling it to size. A dubbing needle inserted in the loop keeps it neater, if that's what you want. I'm not sure neat is necessary, though, and it may be somewhat counterproductive.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Vinlflyfish
Vinlflyfish's profile picture
northern cambria

Vinlflyfish on Jun 14, 2010June 14th, 2010, 12:50 pm EDT
it looks like a fly in fly fisherman the magazine the butch i think it was in march's magazine
trout; a mans best friend
Stratabass
Sandy Parts

Stratabass on Jun 18, 2010June 18th, 2010, 8:25 am EDT
I tied some up and they look fishy. Walter Wiese, head guide at Parks', I believe is the designer and he likes them well enough to tie and stock. He's a good guy and receptive to email, etc. so I'd give him a call/email for more. www.parksflyshop.com (as already listed)
Not a fan of wind.

Quick Reply