Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Lateral view of a Female Sweltsa borealis (Chloroperlidae) (Boreal Sallfly) Stonefly Adult from Harris Creek in Washington
I was not fishing, but happened to be at an unrelated social event on a hill above this tiny creek (which I never even saw) when this stonefly flew by me. I assume it came from there. Some key characteristics are tricky to follow, but process of elimination ultimately led me to Sweltsa borealis. It is reassuringly similar to this specimen posted by Bob Newell years ago. It is also so strikingly similar to this nymph from the same river system that I'm comfortable identifying that nymph from this adult. I was especially pleased with the closeup photo of four mites parasitizing this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

This topic is about the Arthropod Order Isopoda

Sowbugs are not quite as prolific or as important as scuds (Amphipoda), but in certain waters they are more common and serve the same role.

They should not be imitated with the same patterns because they are much more wide and tend to sprawl their legs to the side instead of tucking them neatly under the body. They crawl around instead of swimming, so they are probably best imitated with a dead-drift.

They produce new broods once every two months, allowing them to populate a stream very quickly if enough food is there to support them.

This order also includes popular terrestrial species commonly known as pillbugs or rolly polies. They aren't known to be relevant to fly fishermen.

Example specimens

Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 26, 2011January 26th, 2011, 6:06 am EST
Do these look like the bug you ask about in your post?
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
FredH
FredH's profile picture
Lake Charles , Louisiana

FredH on Jan 26, 2011January 26th, 2011, 6:13 am EST
I believe that's the bug. Thanks Martin . Do you know how these guys move in the water and what the standard patterns are?
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jan 27, 2011January 27th, 2011, 7:15 am EST
There was a recent article in one of the fly fishing magazines about these critters and their imitations. I don't remember which one so I will go look through my stacks tonight and see if I can find it for you.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jan 28, 2011January 28th, 2011, 1:21 am EST
Found the article - American Angler, January/February 2011, pp. 56-57, entitled "Cressbugs" in the Natural Reflections section of the magazine. It includes an imitation pattern for them too.

I hope this helps!

Jonathon

P.S. Go to www.americanangler.com to find it online.
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
FredH
FredH's profile picture
Lake Charles , Louisiana

FredH on Jan 28, 2011January 28th, 2011, 2:53 am EST
Thanks Jonathon . I'll let you know what i come up with.
Fred

Quick Reply