Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Kogotus (Perlodidae) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
This one pretty clearly keys to Kogotus, but it also looks fairly different from specimens I caught in the same creek about a month later in the year. With only one species of the genus known in Washington, I'm not sure about the answer to this ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

LenH
driftless area

LenH on Jan 8, 2008January 8th, 2008, 11:41 pm EST
All below trout are from midwestern small streams.
Can you name all of them?

(these images were all deleted from photobucket)
Dano
Vanderbilt, Michigan

Dano on Jan 9, 2008January 9th, 2008, 12:54 am EST
Can you name all of them?

Yes, but then I had your help. Hehehehe.

Any who, the so called "tiger" trout is interesting since it's a hybrid "native" to Eastern Europe. According to Silvio Calabi in Trout & Salmon Of The World; the "tiger" trout is a cross between a subspecies of the Brook trout and a Brown.

That one would've been a real stumper for me and would've guessed an "albino" Brookie, up until this morning I'd never heard of a "tiger" trout....had to look it up in the afore mentioned book.

Dano

Eventually, all things merge into one...and a river runs through it.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 14, 2008January 14th, 2008, 8:15 am EST
Way, way cool. I especially loved the color and pattern variation in the Browns, some of which I believe was due to age and/or size as well as diet and genes. The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission actually stocks Tiger Trout sometimes, creating the hybrid in their fish labs. Once in a blue moon natives in streams with brooks and browns will produce hybrid Tigers too, but this is very rare.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Jan 14, 2008January 14th, 2008, 8:36 am EST
Hey Guy's-
Click on Len's Profile then click on his Homepage. Some fantastic pictures on PhotoBucket.

Len-
I haven't been down to that part of the state but I do have a good friend in Viroqua. From the looks of it I'm missing out on some excellent fishing.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
LenH
driftless area

LenH on Jan 15, 2008January 15th, 2008, 12:16 am EST
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 15, 2008January 15th, 2008, 8:39 am EST
Beautiful photos in that article on wild tigers. I've only caught a few tigers, and they were stocked. One run of the Tulpehocken had a tiger trout that I caught twice in one season. Thanks for sharing the photos and the article.

--Fred Chappell
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Jan 16, 2008January 16th, 2008, 11:17 pm EST
One run of the Tulpehocken had a tiger trout that I caught twice in one season.

You mean he fell for both the CDC and the DCD? That's some bipolar fish.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 16, 2008January 16th, 2008, 11:53 pm EST
Nah, caught him on nymphs both times.

--Fred Chappell
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 21, 2008January 21st, 2008, 2:49 pm EST
Many years ago on the upper Mongaup, near the Debruce fish hatchery, I saw a nice brown of about 15" on a redd and a brook trout of about 13" seemed to be enamored by the brown trout and I watched them cavort for over half an hour before I left.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply