Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Clostoeca disjuncta (Limnephilidae) (Northern Caddisfly) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one was surprisingly straightforward to identify. The lack of a sclerite at the base of the lateral hump narrows the field quite a bit, and the other options followed fairly obvious characteristics to Clostoeca, which only has one species, Clostoeca disjuncta.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

LenH
driftless area

LenH on Feb 5, 2008February 5th, 2008, 12:37 am EST
What would you use in a cold enviroment early season small driftless stream?
Mtskibum
Montana

Mtskibum on Feb 5, 2008February 5th, 2008, 9:14 am EST
Giant articulated streamers, at least thats what i would throw, because of the aggressive nature of the fish.

here is a quote from a TU article

One of the more prized and certainly most dramatic trout hybrid species is the Tiger trout. Tiger trout are notable because of their markings and their voracious appetites, but what exactly are they? Tiger trout are the result of a cross or hybridization between the brook and the brown trout. Although this hybrid can be produced easily in a hatchery, it is extremely rare (though not unheard of) in the wild. Tiger trout have been stocked in various locations all around the country. They are know for their aggressive feeding habits and stronger than average fighting ability. Also, because of their previously mentioned appetite, they can be used to control invasive species such as the Utah Chub. Adding to the benefit of stocking Tiger Trout is the fact that they are sterile. This allows them to skip the spawning stage and grow into their 4th and 5th year.
SlateDrake9
Potter County, PA

SlateDrake9 on Feb 5, 2008February 5th, 2008, 11:01 am EST
I've caught a bunch on PT nymphs and some on white marabou streamers.
Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.
-- Slate Drake
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 6, 2008February 6th, 2008, 12:56 am EST
The best place to target Tiger Trout is in the hatchery ponds.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
LenH
driftless area

LenH on Feb 6, 2008February 6th, 2008, 2:15 am EST
they happen in nature here. There are NO stocked tigers in wisconsin.
Mtskibum
Montana

Mtskibum on Feb 6, 2008February 6th, 2008, 4:40 am EST
There are places where i fish that contain both browns and brookies(not many), however i have never caught a tiger, nor have even heard of someone catching a wild tiger trout around here. Although you probably have a higher concentration of brookies in wisconsin which probably makes it easier for wild tiger trout to be produced.

Good luck with your fishing

LenH
driftless area

LenH on Feb 6, 2008February 6th, 2008, 5:02 am EST
the white marabou streamers are something i never thought of trying.

Opening morning (march 01) this year I am going out with a local TV crew. We are going to try to catch a tiger. I want any advantage i can get. There has been a mini boom in tigers around here due to the brook trout population soaring. A tiger has never been documented on TV here.

I have caught 6 in the last 2 years here and put people on another 6....

Fingers crossed and fly box stocked full with many different flies. White marabou streamers added.

Len
BGrnFlyfish
Wisconsin

BGrnFlyfish on Feb 6, 2008February 6th, 2008, 6:09 am EST
Good Luck Len!!!
Seth-Big Green River, WI
LenH
driftless area

LenH on Feb 6, 2008February 6th, 2008, 6:18 am EST
Thanks Bgrn....

I also have found and had on a sizeable brookie or tiger in a new stretch of water from last year. The last day of season. Saw the flash of red fins on its side and it was off.

Either is a 20 inch brookie or a VERY big tiger. Biggest tiger I have ever seen was a 16 incher. Either way it is a win...win...

Len

Quick Reply