Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Ventral view of a Hydropsyche (Hydropsychidae) (Spotted Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
With a bit of help from the microscope, this specimen keys clearly and unsurprisingly to Hydropsyche.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

CamWolf1313
Andover, MA/ Andover NH

CamWolf1313 on Jun 16, 2008June 16th, 2008, 11:25 am EDT
I was recently reading an article in "On the Water Magizine" and couldn't help but notice an article talking about Salmon. As I read on the article said that people had been catching these salmon since the 1920's but it now is becoming almost impossible to even find any they record that some had been cought in Scituate, MA's North River along with Great Bay, NH's Lamprey River. I did a little research and found out that in british columbia there are streams that have been consistanly stocked with Coho and are now supporting wild populations. Does any body know anything more?
"Clear your mind of everything but the fish and the fly and you will be in the right mind frame to land it"
Billy Berger.
SlateDrake9
Potter County, PA

SlateDrake9 on Jun 16, 2008June 16th, 2008, 12:40 pm EDT
I've caught them in the great lakes tribs early in steelhead season a few times in the last couple of years. I didn't know that they weren't that common. I've also caught a few pinks in the Erie tribs around the same time of the year.
Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.
-- Slate Drake
Trtklr
Banned
Michigan

Trtklr on Jun 17, 2008June 17th, 2008, 9:27 am EDT
April first opening day on the Little Manistee saw a coho come up from the depths chasing my offering.
I have seen nothing more beautiful than the sunrise on a cold stream.
Jjlyon01
SUNY Environmental Science and Forestry, Syracuse

Jjlyon01 on Jun 17, 2008June 17th, 2008, 11:03 am EDT
The Salmon River in Pulaski, NY has big runs of Cohos out of Lake Ontario they are often coined with the nickname "King" Salmon though and I have seen them pulled out over 20 lbs. The DEC stocks them and they have a hatchery for wild fish to spawn. I rarely like to fish for them because of all the comotion they cause bringing people who are willing to fight for the fish streamside. I normally wait a few weeks into the spawn and catch the Steelhead and large Browns that follow and feed on their eggs.
"I now walk into the wild"
Jjlyon01

Jjlyon01 on Jun 17, 2008June 17th, 2008, 11:04 am EDT
There are also strong runs of Chinook Salmon that spawn around the same time as the Cohos.
SlateDrake9
Potter County, PA

SlateDrake9 on Jun 20, 2008June 20th, 2008, 12:48 pm EDT
You actually have that backwards. The "kings" are Chinook Salmon. The Coho is known as the "silver" salmon.
Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.
-- Slate Drake
Jjlyon01

Jjlyon01 on Jun 21, 2008June 21st, 2008, 7:15 am EDT
I thought so, I always get confused. Thank you for the correction.

Quick Reply