Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Artistic view of a Perlodidae (Springflies and Yellow Stones) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to lead to Couplet 35 of the Key to Genera of Perlodidae Nymphs and the genus Isoperla, but I'm skeptical that's correct based on the general look. I need to get it under the microscope to review several choices in the key, and it'll probably end up a different Perlodidae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Trtklr
Banned
Michigan

Trtklr on Nov 17, 2008November 17th, 2008, 6:05 am EST
Ok, as some of you may or may not know I have been salmon/trout fishing for just a few years now. I have heard some serious conflicting stories about salmon on the run. I had someone tell me that salmon develop lock jaw once in the stream and can't bite, which know not to be true, this was told to me by a gentleman that was head of the fishing dept at gander mtn. but what i am in conflict of is I have heard from two salmon fishers that salmon make 5 runs up a river to spawn and on the fifth time they die. my theory has always been that they make one trip to spawn and die. I have told these people they are probably thinking about steelhead not salmon. so help me out here could ya?
I have seen nothing more beautiful than the sunrise on a cold stream.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Nov 17, 2008November 17th, 2008, 6:56 am EST
Wow, there's lots of misinformation out there.

I had someone tell me that salmon develop lock jaw once in the stream and can't bite, which know not to be true, this was told to me by a gentleman that was head of the fishing dept at gander mtn.

The guy should be fired. Telling people that will just encourage snagging and depress his lure sales... nobody wins. Dumb.

Salmon stop feeding once they enter the stream to spawn. They still have aggressive instincts and will reflexively attack and bite various things, which is how we catch them. They just aren't feeding when they bite.

I have heard from two salmon fishers that salmon make 5 runs up a river to spawn and on the fifth time they die.

I don't know where that comes from. Pacific salmon (kings and cohos in Michigan) ALWAYS spawn only once and die. Atlantic salmon, like steelhead, can spawn more than once. I'm not sure what the typical spawning mortality rates are, but I think I've seen numbers in the ballpark of 50% for those repeat spawners. (Fancy vocabulary words of the day: Pacific salmon are semelparous, spawning only once, while Atlantic salmon and steelhead are iteroparous, spawning more than once.) I'm sure that very few live long enough to make 5 spawning runs. The idea that they all run up exactly 5 times and then flop over dead is ridiculous.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Trtklr
Banned
Michigan

Trtklr on Nov 18, 2008November 18th, 2008, 6:44 am EST
thank-you, did not know that about atlantic salmon
I have seen nothing more beautiful than the sunrise on a cold stream.

Quick Reply