Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Glossosoma (Glossosomatidae) (Little Brown Short-horned Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
I caught this tiny larva without a case, but it seems to key pretty clearly to to Glossosomatidae. From there, the lack of sclerites on the mesonotum points to either Glossosoma or Anagapetus. Although it's difficult to see in a 2D image from the microscope, it's pretty clear in the live 3D view that the pronotum is only excised about 1/3 of its length to accommodate the forecoxa, not 2/3, which points to Glossosoma at Couplet 5 of the Key to Genera of Glossosomatidae Larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch has attached these 5 pictures to this report. The message is below.

Report at a Glance

General RegionNW PA & NE OH
Specific LocationUndisclosed
Dates FishedOct 20 - 24
Time of Day7 - 12 & 2 - 6
Fish CaughtBright steelhead
Conditions & HatchesUnusually low flows for late October. Also unseasonably warm days. Every day it at least 66 degrees. Bright sun 4 out of 5 days. One day of heavy rain from 7 - 11.

Details and Discussion

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Oct 25, 2019October 25th, 2019, 6:19 am EDT
Low flows but good to very good numbers of fresh fish. I think we only beached a couple of males with color. All the females were dime bright. No fish under 24" and about half a dozen 26" - 28". We were very successful with #12 Prince nymphs, stonefly nymphs, swinging Emerald shiner patterns and of course the trout bead.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Oct 25, 2019October 25th, 2019, 10:14 am EDT
Matt, that is awesome! fishing up here in northen Michigan is really dependent on the rainfall right now. From what I understand or have read your fishery is far different than here. It would be cool to fish water that maybe a little more consisdent in depth, for instance the ausable below foote dam has some very deep holes, and can be difficult to fish. With the consumer powers dams you really don't know what your going to get for a flow from day to day. Athough consumers is supposed to run a consistent flow that really doesn't happen. But right know I working on streamer fishing way upstream and have had some good luck. Hopefully the rain doesn't get much worse as this past Wednesday I was at my safe limit for wading! At any rate fall is a wonderful time to be outdoors and enjoying our beautiful rivers,
Mike
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Oct 27, 2019October 27th, 2019, 12:43 am EDT
Mike, actually Steelhead Alley (streams in PA, and OH) bordering Lake Erie are very rain event dependent to trigger steelhead runs. The stream bottoms and surrounding substrate is typically shale and water runs right off into the stream and in a few days are very low again. It takes repeated rain events to bring up the water table and saturate the ground to sustain more stable water levels.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply