Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Ventral view of a Hydropsyche (Hydropsychidae) (Spotted Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
With a bit of help from the microscope, this specimen keys clearly and unsurprisingly to Hydropsyche.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

PigDush
Australia

PigDush on Jul 27, 2009July 27th, 2009, 5:58 pm EDT
Many years ago when I got started fishing as a boy, a friend of my father's directed us to a nice narrow little stream an hour or so out of town, from which I caught my first ever trout - a glorious 18" brown that will forever be known by my mother as the fish as long as my arm (at the time).

Though that fish was the only one I caught out of that stream - and the only trout I would catch for many years to come - I do recall seeing a number of fish in that stream over the many trips that were taken to that particular spot.

Since that time, the great rain Gods have cursed my region, and the stream that will forever be a special place for me has dried up and upon a recent visit is nothing more than a rocky, grass covered bed. However, just this weekend I was fortunate enough to pass another creek I know to join my old favorite that was also recently dry - now with water!

While it is closed season here until October or there abouts, I have been entertaining the thought of taking a day ride out to those parts on a coming weekend to scout out the area and see what's new. My main concern at present is however, if there is to be water flowing once more in the area, what is the likelihood of there being fish given that the creeks were bone dry bar for some grass and weeds 6 to 12 months ago? Is it possible that the waters may be reasonably populated if the creeks were flowing before recent spawning runs? Or would it take more time?

Here's to being hopeful,

PigDush
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 29, 2009July 29th, 2009, 3:39 am EDT
There are probably too many factors here for anyone to figure out a sure answer. I just know of one way to find out. Give it a try.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jul 30, 2009July 30th, 2009, 9:30 am EDT
It definitely could be repopulated, but it all depends on the local geography and trout population, especially how closely connected the creek is to the nearest river with permanent trout habitat. Like Louis said, just give it a try.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
PigDush
Australia

PigDush on Jul 31, 2009July 31st, 2009, 7:37 pm EDT
Thanks guys.

I was actually fortunate enough to get a little bit of a look in on the creeks I mentioned not 3 hours ago. They all seem to be full of water once more, perhaps not quite as full as they once were, however riding across small dipping concrete causeways at 80kph isn't the best means of assessment. One of the creeks looked rather healthy, and appeared to be running clearer than any other I've seen in the region of recent years.

In regard to their proximity to permanent habitat - they all flow together into a widely renowned trout river, which subsequently runs into my local water supply.

These developments have me quite excited now - all that is left now is to find the time to go for a little more of a scout around to find out whether there are some runs likely to hold fish and see if I can spot some. Fingers crossed!

Joel.

Quick Reply