Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jmd123 has attached this picture. The message is below.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jun 29, 2012June 29th, 2012, 11:47 am EDT
I had hoped to capture one of these alive for my Field Biology class during our field trip to the Pine River on Wednesday, but never did find one in the dip net. Last night I stretched out the 50-foot seine net that I had borrowed from my consulting firm for class on my deck to dry, as it was getting a little funky smelling. Well, somehow we had picked up a chunk of rotting wood from the stream and carried it home in the net. Then, this morning I went to pile the now dried net back into the box, and found this poor little fellow dried up next to the chunk of wood. I have been seeing adults lately on both the Rifle and Pine Rivers during my evening fishing trips. Hmmm, maybe it's time to pull one of those #6 Stimulators out of my dry fly box and give it a few tosses...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply