Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Epeorus albertae (Heptageniidae) (Pink Lady) Mayfly Nymph from the East Fork Issaquah Creek in Washington
This specimen keys to the Epeorus albertae group of species. Of the five species in that group, the two known in Washington state are Epeorus albertae and Epeorus dulciana. Of the two, albertae has been collected in vastly more locations in Washington than dulciana, suggesting it is far more common. On that basis alone I'm tentatively putting this nymph in albertae, with the large caveat that there's no real information to rule out dulciana.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jhough03
Jhough03's profile picture
3129 Sundial Rd. Dover PA

Jhough03 on Nov 15, 2017November 15th, 2017, 6:49 am EST
Just last weekend we were fishing up in Oak Orchard creek in Ny for large browns and steelhead. I had a lot of issues with line breaking specifically tippets. Not used to these big powerful fish making runs downstream often ripping line off faster than u can control taking u down to backing before u know it. I consulted Orvis and they said go with 2X tippet for best performance. Also looking for tips on how to play these fish. My issue is the same as a lot up there I see about 80% of the fish lost. I don’t think a majority of the people know how to fight these fish. Talking brown trout over 10 pounds and steelies over 8 in a lot of cases. Thanks for any input!
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Nov 15, 2017November 15th, 2017, 8:37 am EST
I have fished the Salmon River for big browns, salmon and steelhead and many of the fresh salmon are very strong and you will experience many break-offs. You would far more salmon if it wasn't so darn crowded and you could crank down on the drag to try to keep them in the pool. Any time there are guys within 10' on either side of you it is combat fishing and shouldn't be called fly fishing.

If the water is stained I would never use less than 0X for kings and cohoes.
For the browns and steelhead water turbidity is a good indicator of what tippet to use. I can remember using Maxima 15# tippet sometimes on the Salmon River when the big browns were running. Unless the water is really clear where you can see the fish these big fish are typically not leader shy.

They are big aggressive fish and when something that resembles food comes in front of them they are likely going to eat it.

When you hook up you want play the fish with side pressure as that is more tiring then keeping the rod in the same plane as you do when casting.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply