Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Limnephilidae (Giant Sedges) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen resembled several others of around the same size and perhaps the same species, which were pretty common in my February sample from the upper Yakima. Unfortunately, I misplaced the specimen before I could get it under a microscope for a definitive ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Feb 21, 2013February 21st, 2013, 1:51 pm EST
The boy and I did a little fishing today after school. I played gillie...

Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Feb 21, 2013February 21st, 2013, 4:16 pm EST
Tell the young man I'm feeling bad...He's already got the skunk out of the boat, and its not even March! :) The only casting uncle Spence has been doing of late was in a gym trying to show newbies how not to break their wrist..."Don't make me tie your wrist to the rod!" :)

You are a good Pop and not a half bad guide...You put him over fish. Nice looking little pool there.

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 21, 2013February 21st, 2013, 5:53 pm EST
He's a lucky young man, and you a lucky dad.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Feb 21, 2013February 21st, 2013, 6:38 pm EST
Yes Louis...I could of used a Pop like Eric when I was plodding along the banks of that little creek near my grandmothers farm when I was about the youngsters same age...The creek is technically the Middle Branch of the (Mighty) Muskegon, but we knew it as Crocker Creek or Beebe Creek...Beebe being my grandmothers maiden name...I was told that the grandfather of the three brothers I ran with in those days, and lived next to the creek, used to mow the banks so the fly fishermen could cast...

I read an article once where the author stated that my little creek probably had more Browns in it than the Pere Marquette...He was trying to make an argument that the lake run salmon and steelies were causing some stress on the resident Browns.

As soon as your toe touched the creek or you busted through the brush, it was all over as far as catching a Brown...The Brookies are absolutely beautiful there...I can remember casting in tunnels of over grown brush on either side of the stream. :) The only river where I ever floated my hat...

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Feb 21, 2013February 21st, 2013, 6:49 pm EST
Nice, Eric. That's what it's all about.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Feb 22, 2013February 22nd, 2013, 2:25 am EST
Thanks Gentlemen. it means a lot!
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Feb 22, 2013February 22nd, 2013, 2:03 pm EST
Very nice, Eric.

Quick Reply