Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Artistic view of a Perlodidae (Springflies and Yellow Stones) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to lead to Couplet 35 of the Key to Genera of Perlodidae Nymphs and the genus Isoperla, but I'm skeptical that's correct based on the general look. I need to get it under the microscope to review several choices in the key, and it'll probably end up a different Perlodidae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Report at a Glance

General RegionAlaska
Specific LocationSkagway
Dates FishedAugust
Time of DayMorning
Fish CaughtSalmon
Conditions & HatchesHigh water

Details and Discussion

Leakyboots
Hermitage,pa

Leakyboots on Jan 23, 2017January 23rd, 2017, 9:07 pm EST
I made my first trip to Alaska last August. My wife and me flew in and did the land and cruise package. We were there 14 days. I got to go on a float trip on the Kanaei river with my wife who never fished with a fly rod. It was a nice trip but the water was high and fast. Sorry to say my wife didn't catch any fish but I got a dozen. Caught some on dry flies and caught my first Dolly.

On the cruise leg we stopped in Skagway and I booked a fly in Salmon trip. We took a float plane and landed in a bay at low tide. There was a small stream and the Salmon were running. There was 5 fishing with one guide. We used a small green streamer with barbless hooks. We all caught fish. I got three between 5 and 8 pounds with the biggest caught was a 12 pounder. The tide came in and the fishing slowed down. When the float plane came back we were standing on the last sand bar. The tide rose about ten feet. Caught my first Dolly and my first Salmon. Wish I would of had more time to Salmon fish. We used 8 weight Eco rods and couldn't believe how strong the fish were.
Will Shaver

Quick Reply