Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Lltdeer
troutman ,nc

Lltdeer on Sep 20, 2018September 20th, 2018, 10:34 am EDT
hi everyone new to the forum. I'm 63 and used to fly fish all the time when I lived in PA.started when I was about 12yrs old.tied my own flies, I lived for fly fishing. moved south when I was 23 and been out of fishing. Got into archery hunting and archery tournaments. So I've been out of fly fishing for awhile now. Wife and I went to Alaska vacation cruise thing last august. I booked a all day fly fishing, mostly for grayling.am hooked again, want to go back next September for grayling and salmon.
Now for my question. I have a Fenwick hmg 8'takes a #6 line ,I know it's over 40yrs old now ,really like the rod.up dated my dry fly line to s/a shark wave. I have to get quite a bit of line out till it feels like the rod is throwing the line. Do you think if I would go to a heavier line 7 or 8 it would load quicker? thanks in advance.
Fenwick hmg
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Sep 20, 2018September 20th, 2018, 12:52 pm EDT
For starters you might consider buying a longer rod. What is the recommended line weight marked on the butt of the rod? I used to own a couple Fenwicks and had no trouble throwing a good distance cast with a 9' #6 Fenwick. If you are going to be fishing mostly for trout in the 8" - 15" range I would say anything heavier than a #6 is too much line. How far are you casting when you feel the rod is throwing the line? Are you using double taper or weight forward? It can be hard to get the line to work for you if you are casting shorter distances where the belly of the line is still on the reel. Try making some 40' - 50' casts and see if the line is shooting better.

The SA Wave line typically adds 10' in casting length due to the slickness and pebble finish. Check the guides on the rod. Are there any grooves in them that might be impeding your cast?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Lltdeer
troutman ,nc

Lltdeer on Sep 21, 2018September 21st, 2018, 8:43 am EDT
thanks for the help. I don't fish enough to justify buying a new rod, I have a 7' and a 9' glass Fenwick also. The streams we were fishing aren't that wide.it is really a good length. The line that is on the but is #6,I think the line was a wf,It really starts to feel like the rod is working after about 30'.I really like how the line throws .I fished a lot of wet flies in PA and think this rod is a little stiff, until you get about that much line out. It's not really that big of deal. Just thought I'd see what others might think. Thanks.
Fenwick hmg

Quick Reply