Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Limnephilidae (Giant Sedges) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen resembled several others of around the same size and perhaps the same species, which were pretty common in my February sample from the upper Yakima. Unfortunately, I misplaced the specimen before I could get it under a microscope for a definitive ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Greenwolly
Southern W.Va baby

Greenwolly on May 21, 2008May 21st, 2008, 2:04 pm EDT
iam new to fly fishing and iam tryin to learn as much about the sport as possible and i got referred to this site on info on hatches... but where do i honestly start lol there is so much here... lol thanks for all the info you post troutnut
"Eventually all things merge into one and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are t
Flytyer0423
germansville PA

Flytyer0423 on Aug 14, 2009August 14th, 2009, 5:54 pm EDT
what i when i started out was i went to a local fly shop (where the people are nice) and asked them what i needed to start they gave me a list of items i still have the list
-fly rod, reel and line
-terrestrial flies
-casting instructions or casting instructional dvd
-fly floatant
-fly line leader (i use a 5x leader)
-tippet of most sizes (i have 3x,5x,7x, handy at all times)
-strike indicators
-hatch chart
-flies that are on the hatch chart

and i got most of these at walmart i bought the scientific anglers fly fishing kit for trout it comes with casting dvd, fly rod, reel, fly line, leader, fly box and some flies. also i got there the fly floatant
, tippet, flies, strike indicators, forcepts, snippers(i have no idea of the real name, line straitener
this package really helped me out and so did the staff at the fly shop all of this ran me for about $150, if you go to orvis or a brand name store youll spend close to twice that

good luck and tight lines-
natureboy

P.S. if you need flies go to my website most flies are only 50 cents each
www.natureboyoutdoors.weebly.com
and if you dont see the flies you need contact me ill be happy to make them for you
(vistit my website @) www.natureboyoutdoors.weebly.com

Quick Reply