Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 3, 2018April 3rd, 2018, 12:22 pm EDT
I've been curious for a number of years now about how many forum members either have their own Tenkara outfits or have tried the outfit and like it enough to go out and buy their own rod and accessories?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Bish0p
Bish0p's profile picture
Bay Area, NorCal

Bish0p on Apr 3, 2018April 3rd, 2018, 12:44 pm EDT
I tried a friend's rod made by Tenkara USA. I forgot which model but I had fun using it. It's even "easier" to use than a fly rod. Depending on application and size of the water, my friend says he catches fish on Tenkara as easily as a fly rod. My experience was positive and I'll get one later.

Continuing the thread about rod building, I'll probably get a kit from Tenkara Customs.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 3, 2018April 3rd, 2018, 1:44 pm EDT
Bish0p,

While I have never felt any interest in Tenkara I think it is a neat approach for guys who frequent smaller venues with smallish trout or lesser sized gamefish. Don't misconstrue that comment to mean I think less of smaller water and fish. I just prefer big water and pursuing bigger fish that when hooked will either be allowed to run line on lightly set drag or break a 5X or 6X tippet. I've always loved hearing the line racing out against the drag on either a click and pawl old school reel or on newer disc drag reels. At least 20% of the trout that I hook will put me into the backing unless of course if I am throwing big streamers with 0X tippet. Then they still run line and pull like Hell but I can stop the runs and keep them on the fly line.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply