Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Amphizoa (Amphizoidae) Beetle Larva from Sears Creek in Washington
This is the first of it's family I've seen, collected from a tiny, fishless stream in the Cascades. The three species of this genus all live in the Northwest and are predators that primarily eat stonefly nymphs Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019).
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Barbaube
Barbaube's profile picture
France

Barbaube on Feb 18, 2020February 18th, 2020, 5:03 am EST
Hi!

I've been trying ways to save some money on leaders. After tying my own, I've been looking at fly clips. Have any of you had some experiences fishing them? On streamers, wet flies or nymphs, and dries?

Besides discretion, I'm wondering if they could restrict the fly movements.

What do you think?
Red_green_h
Red_green_h's profile picture
New Mexico

Red_green_h on Feb 18, 2020February 18th, 2020, 6:44 am EST
I just started experimenting with tippet rings. I think these are a better alternative than flyclips. Basically a flyclip is like a snap swivel. I would use these swivels mainly for bait fishing for muskies/northern. Tried them with largemouth but preferred using a Texas rig. If saving your leader is what your looking to do (which is my intention) I think tippet rings are the way to go. Tippet rings afford you the luxury of switching out different size tippet without changing your leader. I really can't see a good reason to use flyclips other than saving time. It literally takes probably 30 seconds more to tie a fly on your tippet.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 18, 2020February 18th, 2020, 7:39 am EST
I just started experimenting with tippet rings. I think these are a better alternative than flyclips

I agree. They are much smaller and inconspicuous. They are so light that they don't even break the surface. I don't feel them even casting the smallest of flies. Once you put on a leader attach a 1.5 mm tippet ring and then a tippet with a clinch knot. Example - Buy a 7.5' 3X leader and add a ring and 2' of 4X. Or buy a 9' 4X leader, add a tippet ring and 3' of 5X. As you change flies the tippet will get shorter and shorter. When it gets down to about 20" cut the remaining tippet off and add a new piece. Your leader ca n theoretically last an entire season.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply