Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Sweltsa (Chloroperlidae) (Sallfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This species was fairly abundant in a February sample of the upper Yakima.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

FisherOfMen has attached this picture. The message is below.
FisherOfMen
FisherOfMen's profile picture
NY

FisherOfMen on Feb 15, 2012February 15th, 2012, 4:51 pm EST
Hey guys I just tied this wacky streamer, testing out some of my new grouse "marabou". What do you think? There's two grizzly hackles in the back so there's a froggy look, at least there was supposed to be, and all that marabou-type grouse down is amazing! The slightest breeze and it goes rippling away. I have a feeling this fly might hook a few bass this summer.

I call it...

The JAILBIRD
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught." -Author Unknown

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Feb 15, 2012February 15th, 2012, 5:05 pm EST
Very nice, Nick. An interesting design feature is the hackle collar you've given it. The style is very popular in CA and OR for stillwater use. Want to hazard a guess why?
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
FisherOfMen
NY

FisherOfMen on Feb 15, 2012February 15th, 2012, 5:11 pm EST
I have no idea. I'd love to know, however.

I think I feel a racy joke coming...;)

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke
Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Feb 15, 2012February 15th, 2012
Well, I don't know about a joke, but I can give you a clue. You mentioned the marabou rippling away in the slightest breeze. In the water, that hackle will cause the water to do some interesting things. Very nice head by the way!
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 16, 2012February 16th, 2012, 3:45 am EST
"Very nice head by the way!"

That was exactly my thought when I saw the neat head with no errant material sticking up through the thread wraps, not too long and the entire eye is visible. Great job Nick!
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Feb 16, 2012February 16th, 2012, 4:38 am EST
Very cool fly. What fun!
GldstrmSam
GldstrmSam's profile picture
Fairbanks, Alaska

GldstrmSam on Feb 16, 2012February 16th, 2012, 7:51 am EST
Really neat.
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus
FisherOfMen
NY

FisherOfMen on Feb 16, 2012February 16th, 2012, 12:17 pm EST
Okay, I think I'm getting it... So the collar makes a certain current, but does it encourage the movement of the marabou or lessen it?

As far as the joke, I thought you were going to make a pun on Westerners or something. Just how it sounded to me... it's quite possible I'm a bit cynical hehe

Thanks for the good reviews, but a 100% rating?!?! Sounds like somebody's being nice.

How effective do you think it will be? (Although, I know, there's only one way to really find out!) It's not really a frog imitation, I just added the legs because it looked... 'empty'. Will something this "impressionistic" work, or not?

Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Feb 16, 2012February 16th, 2012, 1:38 pm EST
Encourages it dramatically! The turbulence caused by the hackle makes that marabou dance! As to effectiveness, I would think very much so. Though generally I prefer black, white, or olive versions of this style over heather gray/tan most of the time.
FisherOfMen
NY

FisherOfMen on Feb 18, 2012February 18th, 2012, 9:11 am EST
Ok, that makes sense I guess - Good to know!

Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Mar 4, 2012March 4th, 2012, 8:54 pm EST
Looks dope to me brother!!!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
Motrout
Motrout's profile picture
Motrout on Mar 5, 2012March 5th, 2012, 2:13 pm EST
Looks great! Should catch fish for sure....

I love experimenting and coming up with streamer patterns. I'm sure none of mine are actually very original, but it's still fun to "invent" flies. And some of them actually work on occasion, which is a nice little bonus.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Mar 8, 2012March 8th, 2012, 11:32 am EST
that is remarkably similar to Gartside's Wet Mouse, but he didn't have grizzley "legs." it was tied of pheasant aftershaft with a collar of partridge.

http://www.jackgartside.com/art_wet_mouse.htm

How effective do you think it will be?

it's deadly. especially on stocked rainbows in ponds. went head-to-head with a very experienced gentleman once, tying his streamer with my wet mouse on behind to fish a "trophy" pond he took me to. caught more fish than he, all on that mouse.

cast it out, let it sink a bit, and retrieve it in 1 inch strips.

an entomologist i talked to once told me she thought it resembled a dragonfly nymph, which would live in a pond and move that way.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra

Quick Reply