Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Epeorus albertae (Heptageniidae) (Pink Lady) Mayfly Nymph from the East Fork Issaquah Creek in Washington
This specimen keys to the Epeorus albertae group of species. Of the five species in that group, the two known in Washington state are Epeorus albertae and Epeorus dulciana. Of the two, albertae has been collected in vastly more locations in Washington than dulciana, suggesting it is far more common. On that basis alone I'm tentatively putting this nymph in albertae, with the large caveat that there's no real information to rule out dulciana.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Hellgramite
Southern calif.

Hellgramite on Mar 22, 2009March 22nd, 2009, 12:14 pm EDT
I would love to learn some other rigging ideas what say you?
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 22, 2009March 22nd, 2009, 2:02 pm EDT
Well I don't know very many unique nymphing rigs other than these four;

Conventional set-up with one tail fly and one or more dropper flies, spaced out about 12" or more inches above the point fly.

Drop shot nymphing where you put a significantly heavy BB or many BB's at the end of the tippet and rig up droppers off of the main tippet and add the flies to the droppers so the weight is on the bottom and the flies are floating at varying points in the water column.

Drop a nymph, or two, below some sort of indicator.

Drop a nymph off of the bend of a dry fly - add a piece of tippet to the bend of the dry fly hook anywhere from 6" - to whatever and add a nymph to this section of tippet. It casts a 100X better than any indicator set-up and sometimes a trout will rise to the dry fly too.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
LittleJ
Hollidaysburg Pa

LittleJ on Mar 22, 2009March 22nd, 2009, 3:39 pm EDT
Czech nymph rig-
Leader- 6' 4x flouro. flat no taper. Tie in a 10" piece of old fly line,amnesia, or yellow stren, about 15" down from your "butt".
Tie a small tippet ring on the lead end, then attach 16" 4x to another tippet ring. Tie a 16" dropper and a 7" dropper off the last ring, then a 7" dropper off the first. Be sure to use your heavy fly on the middle 7" dropper. I've also found that if my droppers go longer than 7 or 8 inches they twist up a good bit. I'm not sure if that's how the pros rig it ,but that is how I do it and it works for me. Total leader length is about 8 1/2 feet, best suited for a long rod.
jeff
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Dec 30, 2009December 30th, 2009, 10:16 am EST
Hey Matt, We had been discussing Czech nymphing; remember this one?
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Cdcaddis18
Huntington, PA

Cdcaddis18 on Jan 6, 2010January 6th, 2010, 2:02 pm EST
Louis,

I copied Jeff's explanation of the Czech nymph rig and sent an email to myself with the info. Thanks.

Quick Reply