Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Male Baetidae (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This dun emerged from a mature nymph on my desk. Unfortunately its wings didn't perfectly dry out.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Grabbit
Columbus, OH

Grabbit on Aug 10, 2007August 10th, 2007, 6:58 pm EDT
Every now and then something someone said sticks like glue. Most times it those big problems that have little answers. Tie 30 inches of tippit to the dragging fly at its bend. Now come in close cause this is the good part.... after you have tied this extra tippit onto your fly throw the fly into those trees behind you. Now pull hard breaking off the fly and extra tippit. It will never drag again.

.....Grabbit.....

Fishing with nymphs is for fat little kids... man up and throw a dry.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Aug 12, 2007August 12th, 2007, 9:33 pm EDT
Huh?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Aug 12, 2007August 12th, 2007, 9:43 pm EDT
You forgot to add an intricate, hard-to-tie nymph to the end of that 30 inches of tippet as a dropper before chucking the whole thing into the tree!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Grabbit
Columbus, OH

Grabbit on Aug 14, 2007August 14th, 2007, 12:34 pm EDT
Jason... What was I thinking? I just figured the nymph was a given. Also thank you for the additional comment as I am sure this will help everyone to reduce drag.

I also caught a great fish on the emerging trico pattern I shared a while back. Please give me a moment to forward to my photobucket account... I will put it in my next post. Keep in mind I was using 8X tippet as the great fish was line shy. Lets see if I can get it up on the board. Back in a flash....Grabbit....
Grabbit
Columbus, OH

Grabbit on Aug 14, 2007August 14th, 2007, 12:51 pm EDT

I know hard to believe right? The big fish was victim to a size 24 trico emerger in the film. Only took eight hours and fourteen minutes to land the big fish. It would only take male trico's. Luck would have it I only had one male emerger left in my box. Dont be jealous as I'm the best.

.....Grabbit.....
Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Aug 14, 2007August 14th, 2007, 12:56 pm EDT
Wow! That is really an awesome catch! Was that on a 2 WGT or 3 WGT rod?
Grabbit
Columbus, OH

Grabbit on Aug 14, 2007August 14th, 2007, 1:06 pm EDT
I was using my Sage 00wt. If it were a two wt. it would have been netted in four hours tops. Now look who's jealous, Montana boy.
Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Aug 14, 2007August 14th, 2007, 1:39 pm EDT
Montana boy???

No, I am a cheesehead!! :-)

Quick Reply