Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Lateral view of a Clostoeca disjuncta (Limnephilidae) (Northern Caddisfly) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one was surprisingly straightforward to identify. The lack of a sclerite at the base of the lateral hump narrows the field quite a bit, and the other options followed fairly obvious characteristics to Clostoeca, which only has one species, Clostoeca disjuncta.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

David82nd
David82nd's profile picture
Upstate,New York

David82nd on May 31, 2017May 31st, 2017, 6:13 am EDT
Well I'm trying to stay focused but I have to be honest , in my attempt to use a dropper ,, I'm having a mess every other cast , I'm sure it's a practice thing but man I'm just asking self why agrivate my self , I hear guys refer all the time add a small dropper , I seem okay just swing cast like throwing a nymph but this seems more of a pain then worth the outcome lol. Chime in boys! If you have success at this technique what works for you. , perhaps I just need more practice
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on May 31, 2017May 31st, 2017, 7:09 am EDT
David,

I'm far from an expert caster (other TN's, feel free to advise me as well) but I've had best results using an 'open' loop to cast dropper rigs vs. a tight loop. I tend to cast tailing loops anyway and with a dropper doubling the chance of hooking the line I've resorted to the open loop cast to at least reduce this possibility. The lob cast seems to work but like I said I'm open to critique and advice, anytime!

spent the last 2 afternoons on the Muskegon and pretty much got blown off the water both times, even with single and double-haul, side-arm casts, the line had a mind of its own...and the fish that hit were all juvenile (delinquent) 'planters' who are simply dumb enough to hit anything anyway!

tight lines,

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
David82nd
David82nd's profile picture
Upstate,New York

David82nd on May 31, 2017May 31st, 2017, 9:03 am EDT
Thanks for input , I guess it will be somthing I need to work at , I'll try you're suggested cast , it's funny how we continue to learn new ways everyday , thank you again 😊

Quick Reply