Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Neoleptophlebia (Leptophlebiidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Some characteristics from the microscope images for the tentative species id: The postero-lateral projections are found only on segment 9, not segment 8. Based on the key in Jacobus et al. (2014), it appears to key to Neoleptophlebia adoptiva or Neoleptophlebia heteronea, same as this specimen with pretty different abdominal markings. However, distinguishing between those calls for comparing the lengths of the second and third segment of the labial palp, and this one (like the other one) only seems to have two segments. So I'm stuck on them both. It's likely that the fact that they're immature nymphs stymies identification in some important way.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Mike1
Mike1 on Dec 3, 2011December 3rd, 2011, 10:40 am EST
Ok - first I am new to this forum. Live in south central Pa.
After a long hiatus from fly fishing - [10 years] or any fishing for that matter because a of a whole pile of issues that i won't bore you withI am back.
How/why? Well a friend asked me to go to N.Y. and tighten some lines on salmon. I went-caught 24 lb plus others,had great time. But there was a guy just up stream from me hammering the steelhead on a fly. That was enough for me! Over the last decade my wife has said " why dont you sell all that stuff'"( powell rods ,handmade rods and at least 3 grand of tyeing stuff) I always said " no way!"(I knew someday I would reurn to my first love LOL!)
I have spent the last three days hauling it all out of storage and setting up tyeing bench.Just sorting threw it all was a whole day! I even have Lions main(cant remember where i got that?)
Anyway- I went to tying BWO last night -Man- I cant believe what I have forgotten.I can remember wipping out a whole weeks worth in one night.
It was at first pure frustration!But satisfing.I have had to break out the books and also look on the net for patterns etc.
Thats how i found this site.Looking forward to next season.( i used to fish through the winter)but think I will spend this winter tying.
Hopeing that a pair of those breathable waders pops out from under the tree!
Mike
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Dec 4, 2011December 4th, 2011, 4:10 am EST
Are you sure the guy slamming steelhead was using flies? Just because he was using a fly rod and reel does not necessarily mean he was using flies, especially on the Salmon River. PM me if you want more info.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply