Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Ephemerella mucronata (Ephemerellidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This is an interesting one. Following the keys in Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019) and Jacobus et al. (2014), it keys clearly to Ephemerella. Jacobus et al provide a key to species, but some of the characteristics are tricky to interpret without illustrations. If I didn't make any mistakes, this one keys to Ephemerella mucronata, which has not previously been reported any closer to here than Montana and Alberta. The main character seems to fit well: "Abdominal terga with prominent, paired, subparallel, spiculate ridges." Several illustrations or descriptions of this holarctic species from the US and Europe seem to match, including the body length, tarsal claws and denticles, labial palp, and gill shapes. These sources include including Richard Allen's original description of this species in North America under the now-defunct name E. moffatae in Allen RK (1977) and the figures in this description of the species in Italy.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

GldstrmSam
GldstrmSam's profile picture
Fairbanks, Alaska

GldstrmSam on Mar 3, 2012March 3rd, 2012, 2:38 pm EST
With lake stocking season just around the corner I decided to share the results of something I just researched. This is the stocking results for one of the 3 million lakes in Alaska.

In a previous thread Wbranch mentioned Alaska's amazing stocking program. This backs up what he said.

In Chena Lake a 259 acre lake this is how many fish were stocked since 1995:

Arctic Char: 120,070

Coho Salmon: 319,621

Grayling: 45,977

Rainbow Trout: 210,592

Chinook(King) Salmon: 200,892

Total Fish: 897,152

Est. total fish caught 1996-2010: 130,479

If you have stocking numbers that can beat this then post away!
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 3, 2012March 3rd, 2012, 3:27 pm EST
The catch number to stock number ratio is only 14.5% - is that considered a good return on investment?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
GldstrmSam
Fairbanks, Alaska

GldstrmSam on Mar 3, 2012March 3rd, 2012, 3:53 pm EST
The catch number to stock number ratio is only 14.5% - is that considered a good return on investment?

I'm not sure on that question.
Motrout
Motrout's profile picture
Motrout on Mar 4, 2012March 4th, 2012, 5:37 pm EST

If you have stocking numbers that can beat this then post away!

I guess unfortunately I have to. We have four "trout parks" here in Missouri, each of which are stocked with approximately 100,000 per year. And the longest of these so called trout streams is three miles. So excessive.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
GldstrmSam
Fairbanks, Alaska

GldstrmSam on Mar 4, 2012March 4th, 2012, 9:00 pm EST
...100,000 per year. And the longest of these so called trout streams is three miles.

Well you beat me for sure.

Talk about over crowding. That is so sad.
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 5, 2012March 5th, 2012, 5:38 am EST
Well I have one that makes both of yours look puny in comparison. Pennslyvania stocks 1.2 million steelhead smolt every year into about a dozen, at the most, little creeks in NE PA. There are only three streams that I consider really fishable with a fly rod and one of them is just a zoo. The other two have somewhat less pressure and if you are willing to walk 1 - 2 miles away from your vehicle you can often find long stretches of stream with just half a dozen other guys.
GldstrmSam
Fairbanks, Alaska

GldstrmSam on Mar 5, 2012March 5th, 2012, 9:02 am EST
Pennslyvania stocks 1.2 million steelhead smolt every year into about a dozen, at the most, little creeks in NE PA. There are only three streams that I consider really fishable with a fly rod and one of them is just a zoo. The other two have somewhat less pressure and if you are willing to walk 1 - 2 miles away from your vehicle you can often find long stretches of stream with just half a dozen other guys.

I would like to see the harvest records for those streams. I bet that those streams are way more heavily fished than the lakes up here. Chena lake gets from 2000-3000 anglers per year.
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 5, 2012March 5th, 2012, 6:14 pm EST
I don't have actual Fish commission numbers but I've heard about 150,000 are landed every season - many of them are killed. I see the same guys go out every day and kill their limit of three steelhead in the 6# - 9# range. How much frigging steelhead can you eat a week? I've been told they don't taste all that good unless you smoke them.

Many people are saying the fish numbers are down drastically in the creeks from five years ago. There are other factors besides fishermen that are affecting the return, and therefore, the catch rate.

I've been told that a little, invasive minnow called the Gobi has invaded Lake Erie and the walleyes just love to eat them. Well as the walleye fishery has improved, and the fish are getting bigger, they are also eating a tremendous amount of the steelhead smolts that are put in their natal streams every spring.

In addition to the walleye issue the black cormorant has really rebounded since Lake Erie's waters became so much cleaner after another invasive species, the zebra mussel, came to the lake and is filtering millions and millions of gallons of water every day. The cormorant has been breeding prolificly and eating lots of steelhead smolts. I read where the PA Fish & Game commission is killing off all the eggs in cormorant nests in an effort to curb natural reproduction.
GldstrmSam
Fairbanks, Alaska

GldstrmSam on Mar 6, 2012March 6th, 2012, 8:49 am EST
It is so sad how a little invasive fish like a Gobi can cause so many problems.

Quick Reply