Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Artistic view of a Perlodidae (Springflies and Yellow Stones) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to lead to Couplet 35 of the Key to Genera of Perlodidae Nymphs and the genus Isoperla, but I'm skeptical that's correct based on the general look. I need to get it under the microscope to review several choices in the key, and it'll probably end up a different Perlodidae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Pryal74
Pryal74's profile picture
Escanaba, MI

Pryal74 on Oct 13, 2012October 13th, 2012, 4:33 pm EDT
This is a fly fishing highlight video of Chinook Salmon in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan Great Lakes filmed by myself. I am especially proud of this one. I hope you all enjoy it.

Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Oct 13, 2012October 13th, 2012, 8:22 pm EDT
Jim,

Nice vid! Things just getting started in the Lower last week. I heard the water was so low some fish couldn't clear the sand bar at the mouth of some rivers. A little water lately has helped

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Oct 14, 2012October 14th, 2012, 3:04 am EDT
SMOKIN vid Pryal! As always!!
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Oct 14, 2012October 14th, 2012, 3:24 pm EDT
GEEEEEZ, James! Once again, well done and beautiful fish. And you let them all go! There's a hard-core catch-n-release man if ever I saw one. How is their spawning/recruitment success up there? Down here on the Au Sable it gets too warm during the summer for salmonids. There are a few small springs that come into the lower river and I have in fact seen a few parr (could also be steelhead) early in my snorkeling season, but the river is dominated by warm-water fish. And, as Spence says, I don't think the real full run has come in here yet what with the low and warm waters. Trout season ended for me on a rather medicore note because of this too, just a bunch of little guys in the last week and my last fish for the year from [REDACTED] Pond was a 12" yellow perch! (Took a #10 KBF streamer.)

Guess I'm gonna have to think about trying for steelhead again this year, maybe even salmon if some fresh fish come in...I'll use your videos as inspiration!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
DUBBN
DUBBN's profile picture
Colorado

DUBBN on Oct 14, 2012October 14th, 2012, 4:11 pm EDT
Very cool video. Thanks for sharing!
It's OK to disagree with me. I can not force you to be right.
Pryal74
Pryal74's profile picture
Escanaba, MI

Pryal74 on Oct 15, 2012October 15th, 2012, 10:04 am EDT
@ Spence, I did get to fish some rivers near Traverse City and they were starting to get very good there. Here they are coming in thick on our major river. Probably in the middle of the run now. I will be watching smaller rivers now that we have 2 days straight of rain. I am eagerly awaiting Steelhead and Browns too.

@ Adriman, thanks!

@ Jonathon, they should be hitting all major rivers downstate by now. The temps are low enough I would imagine. Yes, I release everything I catch. You should hit some famous Steelhead streams during season. I know people on here would be more than happy to help you get things rolling. I had the best year ever in 2012 for Steelhead and I can't wait to keep it going very soon.
Orn

Orn on Oct 18, 2012October 18th, 2012, 9:56 am EDT
Awesome looking fish and a beautiful river! The average size is amazing! Well done.

Quick Reply