Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Artistic view of a Perlodidae (Springflies and Yellow Stones) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to lead to Couplet 35 of the Key to Genera of Perlodidae Nymphs and the genus Isoperla, but I'm skeptical that's correct based on the general look. I need to get it under the microscope to review several choices in the key, and it'll probably end up a different Perlodidae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Report at a Glance

General RegionUpper Peninsula
Specific LocationSorry =)
Dates Fished09-05-2010
Time of DayAll
Fish CaughtBrook Trout

Details and Discussion

Pryal74
Pryal74's profile picture
Escanaba, MI

Pryal74 on Sep 10, 2010September 10th, 2010, 9:21 am EDT
This trout season may be nearing an end but it is certainly not slowing down. I had one of my best trips (09-05-10) that I have had in a long while. I managed to land the two biggest Brook Trout I have ever caught. The female was 17" and I caught a male earlier in the day that was 16" he was much heavier (he was a tie for my biggest). I caught all sizes all day, most being in the ten inch range. The fish took white maribou in the smaller sizes and anything minnow shaped to be honest. I posted the links to the photos below. The water was cold and I had to wear waders for the first time all year. Chris, the guy I guide for always gives me heck over not wearing waders. I like the freedom of not wearing them, besides when it's hot I like the feel of a cool trout stream. Anyway, I hope you all are having a great year trout fishing!

Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Sep 10, 2010September 10th, 2010, 10:27 am EDT
NIIIIICE fish, James! Those are real beauties. I personally think brookies are just about the most beautiful fish in the world, certainly in our part of the world - only a spawning male pumpkinseed compares...glad to see you had such good luck in your "undisclosed location". Say YA to da Ooh Pee, Eh?

I too fish mostly without waders these days, unless the water (or air) is cold enough to make me pull them on. I generally don't wear them between May and late September or even into early October in warm years. I don't use a vest anymore either, now I use an Orvis Sling Pack instead. There is something to be said for minimalism - less weight and heat! It all came about because I had to wade through waters up to my shoulders to reach a favorite fishing spot in a stream in Texas - obviously not suitable for wearing waders unless you like them filled and I got tired of having to take all of my flooded fly boxes out of my vest after every time I visited this spot, lest the hooks all rusted away...

I also caught my largest brookie ever this summer, but at 11" it would have looked puny compared to those you got! However, I also caught my two biggest smallmouth ever this summer, 19.5" and 18", and both on a 3-weight! Check out the thread "WHAT DID YOU DO SUNDAY EVENING" for a photo of the 18-incher.

Again, congrats on your big beautiful brookies. May you break your record again next summer!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Sep 11, 2010September 11th, 2010, 4:12 pm EDT
Great fish.
Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Sep 11, 2010September 11th, 2010, 10:48 pm EDT
Nice fish and beautiful place!! That must be the WAY upper peninsula of Mich. right?
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Sep 12, 2010September 12th, 2010, 6:01 am EDT
Beautiful fish, James, and welcome to the forum. One day I hope to catch a native brookie that large. Heck, half that large would still be a beauty. Congratulations.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Pryal74
Pryal74's profile picture
Escanaba, MI

Pryal74 on Sep 13, 2010September 13th, 2010, 4:14 am EDT
Thanks for everyones replies.

@ JMD123, Yes I wouldn't tell my favorite Brook Trout locations. I try to explore as much water as I can during the year. As for Smallmouths, I hunt them down as much as I can, usually in the fall, my biggest is 24 and 1/8 inches 8 lbs. Only a lil more than a pound off the state record and my next 2 biggest are sevens. I love fishing for all species actually. I just don't have enough time to do it. I like Trout fishing the most because of the challenge, skill and also the serenity it provides. I guess I could post some more trout photos from this year as well.

@Adirman Yes the only U.P. Michigan =) it's a great place to fish and I love taking clients out to share them.

@Shawnny3 thanks and glad to be here!

Quick Reply