Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Limnephilidae (Giant Sedges) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen resembled several others of around the same size and perhaps the same species, which were pretty common in my February sample from the upper Yakima. Unfortunately, I misplaced the specimen before I could get it under a microscope for a definitive ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Report at a Glance

General RegionPatagonia
Specific LocationEsquel Area. River Futaleufu (a.k.a Grande) & Rivadavia
Dates FishedNov - Dec 2008
Time of Daydawn till dusks
Fish CaughtRanibows, Browns, Landlock Salmon, Brooks
Conditions & HatchesNot tippical Conditions. Much too warm for the time of the season, water level pretty high, kind of cloudy, really could, mayflies, stoneflies and some caddiesflies hatching, and horsefies!! (too early for that)

Details and Discussion

AlunLloyd
Esquel - Patagonia Argentina

AlunLloyd on Dec 14, 2008December 14th, 2008, 12:17 pm EST
If you know Patagonia and it's mountain weather you know fishing conditions may change from year to year.
So farr (season in Patagonia starts 1st of Nov), the season's been ultra-fast speaking on water levels, hatching and trout response to it terms.
End on November brought really sunny and warm days, so snow melt's been way too much, the river are now starting to look like they normally do mid January.
Fishing on the Rio Grande a.k.a Futaleufu (not the one in Tierra del Fuego!) and the beautifull Rivadavia (at Los Alerces National Park) we've found the trout still a bitt skinny and feeding on early hatching mayflies and midges. Even Dragonflies are really active so fishing huge big foam flies has been really productive. On the same day we've had the first Grand Slam of the season catching a Rainbow, Brook, Brown and Landlock Salmon on the same floating trip thru the Rivadavia, and all on dies! (I'd call it a master's Grand Slam, hehe)
see you around
If you are tired of multi-mega companys that organize fishing trips and vacations, finding unpassionate wasted guides that work only for salaries, email me, straight and personally. I will show the beauty and the magic of fly fishing in Patagonia.

Quick Reply