Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 22, 2021February 22nd, 2021, 5:50 am EST
A number of us fish warmwater. With a thorough search you can find bass photos on this site and reports from past bass trips.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 22, 2021February 22nd, 2021, 10:00 am EST
Hello Grayson,

I have much love for smallmouth and if you do a search on this web site you should be able to see me holding really slab smallmouth.

Near the upper right corner is a dialog box with the word Google next to it. Type "smallmouth" in the box and at least three different posts I made with pictures pops up.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Mar 12, 2021March 12th, 2021, 12:56 am EST
There’s nothing like having a smaller slam a surface popper ; NO Freshwater species is as aggressive IMHO. Sometimes when I grow tired of the technical aspect of trout and feeling overly frustrated, it’s time to find some good smaller water and have at it !! And pound for pound , nothing fights harder !!
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Mar 17, 2021March 17th, 2021, 6:17 am EDT
http://www.troutnut.com/topic/9049/Bassnuts

Some of my own personal experiences with fly-rod bass...all a blast! We've got some fine bass country around here, as you can see.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Mar 17, 2021March 17th, 2021, 6:18 am EDT
Oh, and this one too...on a freakin' #12 caddis!

http://www.troutnut.com/topic/9408/Smallmouth-And-a-new-personal-record

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Mar 29, 2021March 29th, 2021, 1:57 am EDT
VERY nice!! Looks like you got a few on poppers too, my favorite way to get em!!

You still rockin the kayak for most of your fishing Bud?
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Mar 30, 2021March 30th, 2021, 3:29 am EDT
Waiting for the wind to calm down! Yes, the "banana-boat" will be seeing some fish slime this year...not as easy to hoist as it used to be, but I am house-shopping & waterbodies, if even just a pond, are a desirable aspect of the future location...but also Lake Huron at the mouth of the Au Sable River where big salmonids are currently gathering. Bass are definitely on the agenda! Clark's Marsh any day now...

Jonathon

Quick Reply