Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Apr 22, 2009April 22nd, 2009, 1:57 pm EDT
Article

Not terribly conclusive, but something fishermen should be aware of.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Apr 22, 2009April 22nd, 2009, 6:53 pm EDT
Hmmm. Perhaps these "scientists" should try going upstream until they are no longer finding smallmouth bass which display this anomaly. Mostly kidding, of course.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Apr 23, 2009April 23rd, 2009, 12:26 am EDT
Well put, Roger. I would hope they'd have thought of that, but the article does make them seem a little bumbling, doesn't it? Hopefully that's just the layman's media oversimplifying their research. The article does have a certain why-are-you-telling-us-what-you-don't-know sort of humorous tone, though.

If they do go long enough without finding a likely cause, they could always just hazard a guess that it's CO2. That would settle the issue in the minds of most and ensure lots of future funding...

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com

Quick Reply