Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Amphizoa (Amphizoidae) Beetle Larva from Sears Creek in Washington
This is the first of it's family I've seen, collected from a tiny, fishless stream in the Cascades. The three species of this genus all live in the Northwest and are predators that primarily eat stonefly nymphs Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019).
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Report at a Glance

General RegionTroy, Michigan
Specific LocationSylvan Glen Lake, next to the golf course
Dates FishedMarch 29 & 30 2013
Time of DayLate afternoon-evening
Fish Caught8 black crappie, 2 bluegill, two largemouth
Conditions & HatchesPartly sunny, breezy, mid-40s to low 50s, no insects on the wing, water somewhat discolored - but NO ICE!!!

Details and Discussion

Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 1, 2013April 1st, 2013, 5:07 pm EDT
I had a feeling my first flyfishing of the year was going to be during my annual Easter visit to my folks. Things up here in Oscoda-land are still frozen up pretty good, streams are either low (Au Sable) or muddy (Rifle) - or CLOSED (Pine). So, the old lake by the golf course served to give me a chance to FINALLY get some fly tackle out and warm up the casting arm. One of the crappie was 11.5" long, nice and fat. Forgot to take the camera though, out of practice for fishing that doesn't involve drilling holes through the ice! Fish were biting really slow and soft, just felt like I kept snagging weeds but never came up with any weeds on the hook. I used two #10 Woolly Buggers, one in chartreuse with a grizzly hackle, and the other in silver (body and tail topping) and blue (tail and hackle) with bead-chain eyes.

In any case, my personal fly-fishing season is at last underway. Next is Au Sable steelhead and early browns on the Rifle. Thank [the deity of your choice here] WINTER IS OVER!!!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 6, 2013April 6th, 2013, 8:41 am EDT
Mack, our trout opener is the 27th, but there are a few waters that are open year-round so I will probably hit one of those before the opener. Can't wait! In the meantime, my local (walking-distance) bass ponds are still thawing out, as soon as they are I will be hitting them. For me, fly-fishing is NOT just for trout - I did a LOT of bass and panfishing with flyrods while living in Georgia, Missouri, and Texas. And still do plenty of it here in Michigan, especially when I can go for smallmouth! Which there are plenty of around these parts...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply