Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Psychodidae True Fly Larva from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This wild-looking little thing completely puzzled me. At first I was thinking beetle or month larva, until I got a look at the pictures on the computer screen. I made a couple of incorrect guesses before entomologist Greg Courtney pointed me in the right direction with Psychodidae. He suggested a possible genus of Thornburghiella, but could not rule out some other members of the tribe Pericomini.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Dreedee
Dreedee on Aug 13, 2008August 13th, 2008, 2:35 pm EDT
A few years ago, a downturn in good fortune forced me to sell off my expensive bamboo rods. No real biggie, in the grand scheme of things. But all season, I've been fishing my old 8' 4-wt Orvis Superfine, a four-piece, a rod I've had over a decade. It's a great rod, with loads of feel. But I noticed this season problems with the ferrules twisting. I rubbed some paraffin on the ferrules in the hope of making them stick, but it didn't help. Finally, I just took a piece of cloth and some mild soap and cleaned the the outside and inside of the ferrules. It worked; the rod is back in shape and casting wonderfully. I thought I'd "worn" out the ferrules, but they only needed cleaning. Sometimes the solution to a problem can be solved with a wee bit of logic.
Trtklr
Banned
Michigan

Trtklr on Aug 14, 2008August 14th, 2008, 10:20 am EDT
cleaning them with "soapy" water is key. It is kind of like cleaning your golf club grips with soapy water it makes them tacky, where if you clean them with just water it isn't the same. I doubt if your ferrules where tacky when you got done but your getting the same effect.
I have seen nothing more beautiful than the sunrise on a cold stream.

Quick Reply